Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 6:37:59 PM EDT
I just purchased a 5 -slot Phantom suppressor ( YM 28-5C1) and noticed that when this suppressor is installed and properly indexed, the two flat surfaces where the wrench is applied for tightening do not end up oriented vertically like ty do on the A2 suppressor.  If the widest section of the flash suppressor is positioned at the bottom, as I assume it is suposed to be, the flat surfaces end up at an angle when viewed from above.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Are all of the Yankee Hill Phantom suppressors like this, or is it just the YM 28-5C1 model?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as it is indexed the way you want it to be, ignore the flats, they are meaningless.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I realize that the position of flats are meaningless.  But, it just seems odd to me that flats would not be positioned vertically when the suppressor is properly indexed.  All of the other muzzle brakes and flash suppressors  that I've seem have the flats oriented vertically when installed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
TREETOP:

Thanks.  I thought mine might have been a fluke.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Just looked and mine and the flats aren't vertical when it is properly indexed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Uhhmmm,......both my four slot and five slot Phantoms timed with verticle flats, using crush washers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Smith Vortexes don't require indexing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As long as it is indexed the way you want it to be, ignore the flats, they are meaningless.

true
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Can installation of a Flashider needing "indexing" be done by a first timer newbe?  I am interested in one of these phantoms and have no idea what indexing is. Is that when the flat end faces down upon final tightening?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can installation of a Flashider needing "indexing" be done by a first timer newbe?  I am interested in one of these phantoms and have no idea what indexing is. Is that when the flat end faces down upon final tightening?

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Indexing is just making sure that the closed end of the flash hider is on the bottom of the rifle so that it will do its intended job. Should be a piece of cake for any newbie to do with a set of wrenches and a crush washer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just checked our inventory today. (5C2)
Some of the flats do not index at 3 and 9 o'clock if they are properly installed

Maybe it's just me, but I would think that for a product that costs $25.00, YHM could produce a 5C1 that indexes with the flats at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions like the A2 flash hiders.  The manufacturer(s) of the A2 flash hiders have somehow managed to do it and their product only costs $5-8.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top