Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 12:27:17 AM EDT
Is it true that Model 1 sources their parts or raw forgings and barrel blanks from China? Which makes their products not very desirable in the AR community? How are the quality of their upper flat top receivers?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#1]
On their ads it says all parts made in USA.  So I guess the answer is probably "NO".
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont think you can even import firearms parts from China...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I emailed M1S last month to ask about their barrels; who makes them and what steel.  Their response:

"E.R. Shaw and they are 4150"

If you buy a post-ban muzzle crowned barrel, they'll also thread and re-parkerize it for you for $50 after the ban expires.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
us made
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it true that Model 1 sources their parts or raw forgings and barrel blanks from China? Which makes their products not very desirable in the AR community? How are the quality of their upper flat top receivers?

Did a dealer trying to sell you something tell you that? Not being a smart ass...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
people slam model 1  a lot, and all the time my model 1 guns run like a watch, hmmm
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
ASA uses small parts in their lowers from Taiwan as well as their GGG knockoff sights.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
people slam model 1  a lot, and all the time my model 1 guns run like a watch, hmmm

Same thing with M&A parts. I have stuff from M&A. I have done the Pepsi/Coke test more than once. I have put the M&A upper next to a Bushmaster upper and nobody can EVER tell the difference. Gun parts are just like jeans, you can do your own research or you can be a victim of marketing. After paying $100 the other day for a DSA lower, it's doubtful I'll ever spend $200 on a stripped Bushy lower ever again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Plus, just like DSA and Krebs, I live within a stone's throw of both M&A and Model 1. The M&A guys AND the Model 1 guys are are really good people. One of the guys at M&A is considered a pillar of the local gun community having been in the business for 40 plus years. There ain't a roll pin in the world this guy doesn't know. If you go to local Northern IL gunshows, M&A is the cock of the walk as far as AR parts are concerned, always a line at the table. Model 1 doesn't do gunshows.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
After paying $100 the other day for a DSA lower, it's doubtful I'll ever spend $200 on a stripped Bushy lower ever again.

Where are you finding stripped Bushy lowers for $200?!?!?!?  I just want to know so that I DON'T shop there!  Casual shopping can get you Bushy stripped lowers in the $140s and diligent shopping can get it even lower.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
i have a preban gun built on an M1a kit, 20 inch ss 1/8 twist, match sights from M1a, 1/4 minute

i shoot this gun at 500 yards, and easily hit what i am aiming at with handloads, 75 grain hornady bullets, iron sights, it has never jammed
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Some of you M&A owners please chime in about quality and accuracy. I am very interested. I have built two ARs with Model One uppers. I was very happy with the accuracy and quality. Only down-side was the came with A1 front sights. No big deal since optics went on both of them but next time I will specify A2 sight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#13]
mine came with A1 front sight post also, but it is nice and thin, and has a finer adjustment than the A2 fsp, so i kinda like it that way

forged recievers, forged front site base, t numbered flat top, forged carry handle, nice kit
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Some of you M&A owners please chime in about quality and accuracy. I am very interested. I have built two ARs with Model One uppers. I was very happy with the accuracy and quality. Only down-side was the came with A1 front sights. No big deal since optics went on both of them but next time I will specify A2 sight.

I have a couple M&A kits built on Bushy lowers. Flawless fit, flawless function. I have a Bushy built by Bushy that has failed a few times. My home built M&A guns have never so much as FTE. As far as the lower price is concerned, I get tired of this argument. Everyone here seems to have a secret supplier that sells them lowers for $20. In the world I live in, as a gunshow dealer, having been in this business literally my entire life and knowing several local FFL holders, a $140 Bushy lower is not even a reality in this neck of the woods. $140 will get you RRA and DSA, maybe OLY and to bee honest, think what you want, they all do the same thing, hold the lower parts in a block of machined aluminum. Your lower in no way, if in spec effects accuracy or performance in any way shape or form. I have a hodge podge of parts on an OLY lower circa 1990. It is my ugliest and most reliable AR. It refuses to fail and to be honet the Bushmasters often stay home and the home brewed Oly goes to the range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 Patriot

as long as it's forged, a lower is a lower is a lower......

I've got a model 1 upper on my mutt gun.......no problems so far....
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
ASA uses small parts in their lowers from Taiwan as well as their GGG knockoff sights.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but at least it isn't the PRC.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus, just like DSA and Krebs, I live within a stone's throw of both M&A and Model 1. The M&A guys AND the Model 1 guys are are really good people. One of the guys at M&A is considered a pillar of the local gun community having been in the business for 40 plus years. There ain't a roll pin in the world this guy doesn't know. If you go to local Northern IL gunshows, M&A is the cock of the walk as far as AR parts are concerned, always a line at the table. Model 1 doesn't do gunshows.

That is absolutely incorrect.  Model One does do gunshows.  In fact, I have been at several of them.  Not at all an uncommon occurance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That is absolutely incorrect.  Model One does do gunshows.  In fact, I have been at several of them.  Not at all an uncommon occurance.

I have seen them at the Grand Rapids Michigan Gun and Knife show once as well.  Haven't seen them since, but I do remember Mode 1 being there.  I can also attest to M&A having excellent quality parts and good prices as well.  I always get what I feel is a deal when I buy from M&A in person.  Great people and products.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have purchased several Model 1 uppers and kits. I have seen them only once at GR, usually Ranger sales covers Mich for them. Ranger does not do shows in the summer. Model1 is usually at the shoot in Louisville. I have been very pleased with all my dealings with Model 1 and Ranger.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is it true that Model 1 sources their parts or raw forgings and barrel blanks from China?

Who comes up with this shit?

When was the last time anyone saw a thread bashing Model 1 sales? or M&A?  All I ever see is some [edited for content] asking stupid questions like this one.
Then, all kinds of guys coming out of the woodwork saying how great their rifles perform.

For the record, my kit, a 20" Hbar, will outshoot any thing else I have, including a Rem 700 classic in .22-250.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When and where? I havent seen them in a while. Perhaps I missed them every single Sunday this year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Indy 1500.  The gun show in Dayton, Ohio.  Knob Creek.   There are other shows to but those are just the ones I can name off of the top of my head.

I bet that they have something on their website, but maybe not.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Can you get M1 sales through an outside dealer or only company direct?

And IIRC you can get chrome lined barrels for $50 xtra, or am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My watch just stopped.  

[shaking watch]WTF??[/shaking watch]

I get small parts from Model 1, but the core parts of my rifles (barrels and receivers) are mostly Bushy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Who is M&A???
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I emailed M1S last month to ask about their barrels; who makes them and what steel.  Their response:

"E.R. Shaw and they are 4150"

Nope. I emailed them last night and here is thire response:

"Sir,
The barrel are 4140 and made by ER Shaw.
Thank you,
Model 1"

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#28]
M & A Parts is based in Lake Zurich, IL and owned by Bill Caplan, who is a heck of a guy.

http://www.m-aparts.com/
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Chewbacca:

If your e-mail is true, then they lied to me when they told me they were 4150.

>
>
>3.  Who manufactures your barrels?  What grade/type of
>metal are they?  (I've read some manufacturers use
>4140, whereas others use 4150?)
>  
>
E.R. Shaw and they are 4150

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats what they sent me, but maybe they are just confused...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Model 1 has never let me down. Price and quality make them hard to beat.

I have had several dealers, armorers, and manufacturers tell me that Model 1 buys up DPMS over-runs and some seconds. I am interested to hear if anyone has heard this also.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top