Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2004 2:53:41 PM EDT
Hey all,
I plan on getting a 14.5" LMT barreled upper for September 14th.  All vendors sell them with the standard LMT bolt/carrier but offer the "enhanced" one too.  Now, I know that the enhanced has the double extractor thingies (technically speaking), BUT would I really notice a difference?  Is it worth the extra cost?  How is the quality of the standard LMT bolt compared to Colt, RRA, etc?

R
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a standard LMT bolt+carrier combination and have never had a single issue with it.  The bolt is  certainly a top quality component, but I would not say its any better than a stock Bushmaster, Colt, RRA, ETC.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
i thought it was "enhanced" because it was chromed and the double spring.  No?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The rra bolt is "enhanced" too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rra bolt is "enhanced" too.

Yea, for half the price
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT! waste your money on the LMT enhanced bolt.  Why throw away $155 dollars on a marketing gimmick?

Don't be a dummy like me.  I bought TWO enhanced bolts.  One of them failed after 2000 rounds even though LMT claims they will last 50,000 rounds.  There is no difference in function vs. a standard bolt.  Just get yourself a extractor spring insert to boost reliability OR...

...buy 4 standard bolts for less than the cost one LMT enhanced bolt.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT! waste your money on the LMT enhanced bolt.  Why throw away $155 dollars on a marketing gimmick?

Don't be a dummy like me.  I bought TWO enhanced bolts.  One of them failed after 2000 rounds even though LMT claims they will last 50,000 rounds.  There is no difference in function vs. a standard bolt.  Just get yourself a extractor spring insert to boost reliability OR...

were the LMT enhanced bolts easier to clean, since it's chromed?  I have to scrap my BM bolt with a pocketknife to get all the gunk out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a standard LMT carrier?  I ordered a 16" upper with "stardard bolt and carrier," but the carrier  doesn't look like what I'm used to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is there a standard LMT carrier?  I ordered a 16" upper with "stardard bolt and carrier," but the carrier  doesn't look like what I'm used to.

Most "enhanced" carriers refer to a shrouded firing pin, similar to the M16 carriers.  I would guess all LMT carriers have this feature.  As far as I know, LMT only makes one kind of carrier, but I could be mistaken on that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

yes, there is a standard LMT carrier, but i thought all their bolts were "enhanced".
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
LMT makes standard and enhanced bolts and bolt carriers.

The main differences in the bolts is the double spring extractor and proprietary finish on the enhanced bolt. The standard bolt is practically the same as any other manufacturer's. The finish would appear similar to chrome and just as easy to clean.

The carrier on the enhanced version has additional reinforcement points around the neck and additional lubrication hole.  The standar version is similar to that of any other manufacturer, aside from Colt's half-circle carriers. Both have the M16 style protected firing pin feature. The only difference between the M16 and AR-15 versions is removal of a portion of the rear sear area to prevent full-auto.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

were the LMT enhanced bolts easier to clean, since it's chromed?  I have to scrap my BM bolt with a pocketknife to get all the gunk out.

The LMT enhanced bolts are not chromed.  They are electroless nickle plated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:05:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Another -1 for the LMT enhanced bolt.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=192685
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The LMT enhanced carrier also increases dwell time, somthing the other "enhanced" carriers don't do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, there is a standard LMT carrier, but i thought all their bolts were "enhanced".

No they sell a "Standard" bolt also. I own one and it has served me well, absolutely zero problemss in my LMT 14.5" upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top