Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2004 8:49:10 AM EDT
Which stock offers the most in terms of flexibility...vltor or the magpul stock?  Tried to do a search but I'm limited to 30 days.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Vltor is nice I have three of them. Magpuls are nice but very costly so you chose . They are both great.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
As we sit here today, the Vltor is the most versatile as it offers on-board carrying capacity.  Magpul will be offering an add on module for this in the future (or so the rumor goes).

I like 'em both .
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
For once I'm going to be lazy and ask rather than look it up:  how much do they each weigh?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Magpul is the most versitile stock on the market. Period. Because of its unique design, it offers options asll others are simply incapable of due to the limitations in their design.

I refer to versatility in terms of  mounting attachments as well as positioning.  How does magpul's unique design offer more options than vltor?

Quoted:
Flexibility and Versatility will depend on what is important to you personally. Define these into requirements and base your choice on that.

I would look at the tacked thread in this fourm to answer many questions. Probably the only thing that 95% of people will agree on is that any of the after market stocks are better than an original 2 pos CAR Stock.

I'm referring to flexibility in terms of mounting attachments and their locations on the stock.
I would think that versatility is more objective than subjective in terms of mounting options.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Magpul is the most versitile stock on the market. Period. Because of its unique design, it offers options asll others are simply incapable of due to the limitations in their design.

except storage
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

except storage

Now don't take this wrong, (yeah, right..) but just how vital is it for a soldier to be able to store a few batteries or a spare bolt, or some other small item IN his rifle? Like there isn't some other place in his gear where he could easily stash larger quantities of whatever items would fit in the small storage compartments on a stock?

In my humble Armchair Commando opinion, I want a buttstock to do the job it was intended for: To aid in comfortably and accurately hitting the target, in multiple situations. Adjustable? You bet.  But anything else is superflous and unnecessary gadgetry.

Keep It Simple Stupid definately applies to me since I am perfectly capable of being stupid all by myself, without any outside help.

Lonny

Edit: By the way, I'm looking hard at either a Magpul 93A or an Ace M4 SOCOM for my rifle, with the Ace leading at the moment. Maybe I'll do it the ARF.COM way, and get BOTH!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
xcp,

I agree 100% with the keep it simple rule.  However, storage on the weapon was important enough that Crane developed their stock(now manufactured by LMT) and storage on the weapon is important enough that its part of the SCAR requirements.

My previous response was to the comment "most versitile" thats all.  the Magpull stock is a great product and offers adjustment like no other...but "most versitile"  cmon  

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
xcp,

I agree 100% with the keep it simple rule.  However, storage on the weapon was important enough that Crane developed their stock(now manufactured by LMT) and storage on the weapon is important enough that its part of the SCAR requirements.

My previous response was to the comment "most versitile" thats all.  the Magpull stock is a great product and offers adjustment like no other...but "most versitile"  cmon  

Oh, I can see where it might be worthwhile to have storage on the weapon. Several weapons have storage compartments in the pistolgrips and there are AR-15 grips with that feature.

However I see one flaw with the Crane storage position. You have to remove the buttstock to get at whatever is stored there. Probably you'll have time, but remember, Murphy was an optimist. I feel like any storage compartment where the design requires disassembling the rifle to get at it, needs to be rethought.

Also, if the part requires removal, there is the very real possibility of losing it while it is off the weapon, if something unexpected happens. Murphy again.

One more reason to have back up iron sights if you have an optic, and preferrably an optic that is still useable without batteries.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as storage goes, there are pistol/forward grips filling this void until the Magpul mods come out.

I wonder why no one has a storage unit the size of (and mounts like) a peq 2, it would hold tons of goodies. Could also be mounted to Magpuls rail to keep the front end as light as possible. Or have they?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
 I didn't say the Crane stock was a great solution to the storage question, just that it was developed by the Navy because operators asked for it.. I don't know WHAT they were thinking when they made it so you hade to remove the stock to get the tubes out...but it's also easy to monday morning quarter back something thats been around for some years and did infact lead the revolution in M4 stock developements.  Any product can be improved on no matter how much R&D is put into it.

I think it's great all these new companies are finally addressing items that have been overlooked for 30 years. Some because of new weapon mounted electronric goodies etc. but also some that are basic improvements like shooter comfort and adjustability.

I'm excited to see what Rich has up his sleeve for the Magpull stock.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 I didn't say the Crane stock was a great solution to the storage question, just that it was developed by the Navy because operators asked for it.. I don't know WHAT they were thinking when they made it so you hade to remove the stock to get the tubes out...but it's also easy to monday morning quarter back something thats been around for some years and did infact lead the revolution in M4 stock developements.  Any product can be improved on no matter how much R&D is put into it.

I think it's great all these new companies are finally addressing items that have been overlooked for 30 years. Some because of new weapon mounted electronric goodies etc. but also some that are basic improvements like shooter comfort and adjustability.

I'm excited to see what Rich has up his sleeve for the Magpull stock.

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks guys!  magpul it is...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:20:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#19]
So as of right this moment, the only thing from that .pdf that's available is the basic M93 stock, correct?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ILMT Crane SOPMOD is lighter and offers battery and spare parts storage.  I also like the tube with a cutout  for the plunger for retaining the buffer.

Denny

While the LMT/Crane SOPMOD is my favorite stock, I do not like the LMT extention tube with the cutout for the plunger.  Reason being is when you screw it all the way in to make use of this feature then your stock will not engage the first position on the tube.  I have a DD sling plate which is a little thicker but I don't think it would make that big of a difference, my Vltor tube works fine.  

James
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So as of right this moment, the only thing from that .pdf that's available is the basic M93 stock, correct?

Thats somewhat correct... There are a few upgrades to the M93a stock that is available. Like two different sling mounts and a reinforcement upgrade which includes a steel strike plate if Im not mistaken. All the other tails and stocks are still to come.

I'm glad I saw that .pdf since I'm looking at stocks now.  I'd like to ultimately be able to swap out uppers, and the ability to change from a telescoping stock to a fixed would go a long way toward that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Read this PDF to see what we're talking about:

www.mediarev.com/mss/mss_install_0503.pdf

Thank you Troy, I'm glad I stuck my heasd in here becasue I got the older install manual with my stock and didn't know about some of the upcoming additions.  Guess I'll have to buy another Magpul for my second build
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I do not like the LMT extention tube with the cutout for the plunger.  Reason being is when you screw it all the way in to make use of this feature then your stock will not engage the first position on the tube.  

Was this intended by LMT?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#26]
When the Magpul concept was first released in PDF format, it showed different tail sections. One that stands out in my mind was a carrier for 40mm grenades. I believe it held 3 or 4. This isn't likely something us civilians would need (unfortunately) but the military aspect would be good.
Magpul has been ramping up a lot of products within the past year or so now. They've got the ranger plates, magazine followers, pistol grip, the 93a stock, which has been upgraded yet again to the 93Ar, and possibly a 93b version on the horizon. They have the regular magpuls, and the rail protectors/hand guards.
I wish he would focus more on the stock, due to the fact that  a massive wave of business is heading his way on September 15.
But, if you want to pick like 90% of people do, the Magpul M93a* looks cooler then the other one.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I think the Magpul has the most overall potential over the VLTOR and Crane stocks.  With the planned tail pieces and stock configurations, everything uses the same extension tube.  Even the single point sling mounts can be removed and changed without having to remove the esxtension tube (unlike on the Crane and VLTOR.  Once the extension tube is installed, you can change stocks, sling mounts, and tail pieces can be changed on the stock itself as well quite easily.  I wouls say if you want flexibility and usefulness inthe long term, get the Magpul.  If you want storage for bateries now and don't care about long term flexibility and modularity, get a Crane or VLTOR.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm glad I saw that .pdf since I'm looking at stocks now.  I'd like to ultimately be able to swap out uppers, and the ability to change from a telescoping stock to a fixed would go a long way toward that.

That is one of the aspects that encouraged me to buy a Magpul originally too. The thing is, after owning one, I don't know that I would ever need a fixed stock. In its locked position, the collapsible Magpul is as solid as any fixed stock I've ever fired.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok you guys convinced me, I ordered one in black from Magpul a few minutes ago, damn I feel like a school girl, I'm so excited I think I wet myself!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is one of the aspects that encouraged me to buy a Magpul originally too. The thing is, after owning one, I don't know that I would ever need a fixed stock. In its locked position, the collapsible Magpul is as solid as any fixed stock I've ever fired.

From that .pdf they will have one that's adjustable vertically as well as horizontally.  It's just a matter of more fine tuning.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top