Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2004 11:51:34 AM EDT
How good is CMT?  Continental Machine and Tool.
A site is offering their uppers and advertises them as a very good upper receiver.  How good are they?  Here is the site im looking at.

Do they look like good quality?  Better then BM?  As good as LMT?  Their site says they are right behind LMT but as most important AR questions I asked are given to this loyal site.

Thanks  
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The uppers are very good and in terms of consistancy, better than LMT.  CMT is a Colt vendor and has been for many years.  
HFG
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
So, they make Colt's stuff?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Some
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Food for thought..........CMT also does parts for Bushmaster and Rock River
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Food for thought..........CMT also does parts for Bushmaster and Rock River

Food digested and completely understood.  Do CMT uppers have those crazy Colt cam pin holes or whatever Colt does to mess up compatability between uppers and lowers?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope. Mil-Spec. I have one in my hand as I type this.  
HFG
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
So, it will fit my DPMS lower quite nicely?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If the lower is made to the correct specs there will be no problems.  Not had much experience with DPMS parts.  
HFG
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If the lower is made to the correct specs there will be no problems.  Not had much experience with DPMS parts.  
HFG

I think DPMS lowers are to the correct specs.  Anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Upper Receivers have nothing to do with headspacing, correct?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
headspacing is between the barrel assembly and the bolt.

I've only seen one CMT and one LMT in my life; the CMT belongs to me, the LMT to a firend. I would honestly say that CMT is better. I've actually never seen an upper as nice as my CMT. Buy with confidence, especially given the price!
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
LOL his ad says "some of the top name AR manufactuers seen elsewhere on this board"

Can you say "Equipment Exchange" add?
That is funny. Denny is a good guy.
+1 for GTS
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So, they make Colt's stuff?

Most of it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys- I don't think they do stuff for Colt anymore. They certainly did do lowers for them previously though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HFG

I think DPMS lowers are to the correct specs.  Anyone know for sure?

Yes
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Guys- I don't think they do stuff for Colt anymore. They certainly did do lowers for them previously though.

Then who makes it? Colt doesn't make too many parts, like six or seven, last I heard. They are also trying to outsource some of those.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I got the upper.  Great price and HOLY S***, $1.00 shipping!!!  I can't afford that.    His prices are great and his shipping price is awesome.  

How long do you think it will be before I get my upper?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
So these Recievers are the same as RRA's? Think it will match the finish to my RRA lower?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know, but if I remember correctly, companies that buy parts from Machine and Tool businesses put their own finish on.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Even thouogh CMT does parts for a lot of companies,  each company (RRA, Bushy, Etc.)  have their own finishing specs. and little touches to meet their individual company specifications.  I heard that RRA was polishing their receivers before they were anodized (that's why they look so damn good) and Bushmaster was just beadblasting, now I hear Bushmaster will be polishing them also before anodizing.  This is all from an inside source.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
oh well, an RRA reciever is only $4 (I think) at ADCO...
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I am assuming that you ment 4 dollars more.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then who makes it? Colt doesn't make too many parts, like six or seven, last I heard. They are also trying to outsource some of those.

How many of you have been to the Colt plant?  Colt make barrels (from bar stock) uppers, lowers, bolts, carriers, extractors, carry handles etc.  Sometimes they outsource when they need parts to fulfill orders, bolts are made by Colt under union regs.  
HFG
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm waiting for all of this to evolve into a thread that claims Colt receivers are made by Vulcan (Hesse).  Gotta love the internet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I have been on the factory floor several times. I have seen their machinery in action and been on the testing range. Colt does receive forgings from outside contractors and have had forgings/rough machined lowers come from CMT in the past as a vendor. Alcoa comes to mind as another forging vendor.

I will confirm everything HFG mentions as I have seen them in the process of making those parts . CMT and Colt stopped their relationship a while ago, but it may indeed be back.

IMHO CMT is good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am assuming that you ment 4 dollars more.

nope... there on sale for $4 (but shipping will cost you $90+)

Quoted:
I'm waiting for all of this to evolve into a thread that claims Colt receivers are made by Vulcan (Hesse). Gotta love the internet.

A Hesse/Colt conspiracy! I knew it!  
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many of you have been to the Colt plant?  Colt make barrels (from bar stock) uppers, lowers, bolts, carriers, extractors, carry handles etc.  Sometimes they outsource when they need parts to fulfill orders, bolts are made by Colt under union regs.  
HFG

I've been there a few times, my stepfather retired as a machinist from there.  They still make some parts in-house.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Denny,

I see in your description you say:

"These uppers are the equal of any except LMT"

What makes the LMT better?

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#33]
SO LMT US$484.00 (did I read that wrong?) (edit- ok I see duh...)

CMT US$88.00

Only diff is the m4 cuts on the LMT and the better finish on the CMT??

I would definatly remove that LMT reference if the CMT is that good.....

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I will say the finish on the CMT's is actually better than the LMTs.  Both are milspec.

Denny

That's my observation, QA is VASTLY superior at CMT, products are more consistant.  
HFG
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#35]
"CMT Upper complete" ordered.

BTW. You came highly recomended from my buddy CW in MI.

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I recently ordered one from Denny and as everyone else has said, it is very nice. The fit to my RRA lower was nice and tight.

I'm going to be ordering anotherone when I start my next one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, denny I ordered one from you.  Prove it is good!!!!!   From what I saw on the site they look very nice, I just hope it matches my DPMS lower finish.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought a CMT lower and it has the CMT logo, BUT the paper work says that its a COLT lower.
The vendor I bought from had a add in the SGN and in the add stated that CMT makes lowers for FN. If I'am not mistaken FN builds M-16's for the Gov.
Perfect fit to my preban Colt Sporter upper and my Model 1 upper.

EDIT TO ADD  ( FWIW )

EDIT TO ADD   ( just tested the fit,  the pistol grip was not installed at the time  as I had not installed any parts on the lower Mr. BATF man )
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#42]
While I'm still waiting on my upper I will ask one more question about CMT.  What else do they make, lowers?
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Country Music Television? I don't watch it so I don't know.h.gif
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Country Music Television? I don't watch it so I don't know.

I really need my CMT upper.  It's only been three days but my black rifle disease is just getting worse...    Every time I order something I keep on getting more and more anxious.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well guys here it is.  The CMT uppers showed up Friday, less the ejection port covers

A quick call got them coming for Saturday delivery.  So far so good.  I got to the shop at 9:30am.  UPS, evidently a substitute driver that cannot read store hours posted boldly on the front door that states we open at 10AM, left the little note at 9:17 AM, that said they would bring them back Monday.  Numerous phone calls to UPS, being nice and then threatning yealded no results.  All the uppers on order, except the three of you on the top of the list for which I had the ejection port assemblies, will ship Monday.  Geeze.  Sorry but some things are just out of my control and there has been one hell of a run on these uppers.  50 units in the last 10 days.

My apologies to one and all.  You all know we ship promptly, but when a supplier screws up and then UPS throws us under the bus, after paying for RED delivery, well.  I am exasperated.

Denny

Don't be sorry, I just get really anxious for my new AR stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Well guys here it is.  The CMT uppers showed up Friday, less the ejection port covers

A quick call got them coming for Saturday delivery.  So far so good.  I got to the shop at 9:30am.  UPS, evidently a substitute driver that cannot read store hours posted boldly on the front door that states we open at 10AM, left the little note at 9:17 AM, that said they would bring them back Monday.  Numerous phone calls to UPS, being nice and then threatning yealded no results.  All the uppers on order, except the three of you on the top of the list for which I had the ejection port assemblies, will ship Monday.  Geeze.  Sorry but some things are just out of my control and there has been one hell of a run on these uppers.  50 units in the last 10 days.

My apologies to one and all.  You all know we ship promptly, but when a supplier screws up and then UPS throws us under the bus, after paying for RED delivery, well.  I am exasperated.

Denny

You should be able to get your shipping costs back.... UPS can suck...
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Who has the CMT LOWERS now?

Denny, if you have a relationship with CMT, would you persuade them to do a run in a Hartford-Horsey grey anodizing job?

It would be nice to have something that matched the M16A1 uppers out, or a 'retro rifle'.  

Denny, will you be getting any CMT LOWERS in?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Are the CMT lowers more of a deep black finish then a geryish-black?  I really want it to match my lower.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought two Stag Arms stripped lowers pretty recently. I understand that they come from CMT.

They are excellent, ecpecially for the $. They assembled easily and look great. The only problem that I have is with their logo, and that's just a personal thing. Other folks love it!

Their finish is a flat black-gray. Not nearly as light as the GI M16A1 gray but not as dark as the late Colt-style deep black. I don't think that they'd be a great match for a DPMS upper because DPMS finishes with Teflon over its anodizing and seems to have more sheen. Rubbing in lots of oil on the Stag's finish makes it go deeper in color, of course.

And who on this thread thinks that Colt still uses the large pivot-pin holes? They haven't for years! Please catch up on your info before continuing to spread out-of-date bullshit to folks who are looking for facts .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top