Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2004 9:56:19 AM EDT
I just bought my first AR - a Bushmaster M4 variation and was wondering what the correct barrel break-in procedure would be for long term accuracy. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong, but I dont think a chrome-lined barrel requires a break in. Some one correct me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I could be wrong, but I dont think a chrome-lined barrel requires a break in. Some one correct me.

Some say no, but I say it is just like breaking in an engine.  Run it for a while to let the parts mate together, and then change the oil.  Put a couple hundred rounds through it and then clean it.  Any high spots in the barrel will have then be smoothed down.

Then again, any high spots in the barrel will have been blown out the barrel with the next shot.  But after 200 rounds, aren't you ready to clean your new AR15?  Come on, give it some love, its your first
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I found the following at Bushmaster web site.

After firing a couple hundred rounds, the chrome lining will "polish out" from its light, flat gray, factory-new look to a brightly reflective, polished appearance. During this break-in period, excessive cleaning with solvent or brush should be avoided as that will only prolong the time (and number of rounds) it takes to achieve the final "bullet polishing" of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]

During this break-in period, excessive cleaning with solvent or brush should be avoided as that will only prolong the time (and number of rounds) it takes to achieve the final "bullet polishing" of the barrel.
I've always wondered if they mean don't clean the barrel at all for a couple hundred rounds or just do a quick swab to clear loose debris and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I myself have bought one of those ropes that have the brush built in to it and use it dry just to clean the fouling out but not lube.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to the Bushmaster web site and sure enough the answer was right there. I'm glad I asked or I would have taken the traditional one round and clean for ten... and so on. Thanks again for all the help.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
bump a case through it, and then clean it
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top