Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2004 5:02:50 PM EDT
I plan on purchasing a new kit soon from Model1sale.com but I dont know what kit I want...

I am really in a pickle here...

Would it be legal for me to purchase a PreBan XM-177 kit (11.5 inch barrel with welded 5.5 inch flash hider) and dremel off the bayo attachment.. and put a A2 stock on it??

(my question would be) is the welded 5.5 inch flash hider legal? or do I have to choke and get the Mock 5.5 peice of crap fake barrel extention?

I plan on purchasing soon.. maybe tonight, so any input would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks a ton

-Jason

Here is a Link to Model1Sales
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For it to be legal it would have to be a pinned and welded mock, p.o.s. 5.5 extension.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If it isn't a pre-ban lower then it is illegal.  Even with the the removal of the bayonet lug and the A2 stock it would still be illegal as the 5.5 flash suppressor is just that a flash suppressor, that would bring you up to two evil features (pistol grip+flash suppressor).  You slap that on a post-ban lower and its a new assault weapon.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Darn.. just what I thought... I was hoping I could by-pass the law by cutting off the lug.. but darn it.. oh well..

Has anyone here actually seen or used the Mock 5.5 extention? how bad is it really?

I havent even been able to see a picture of it.... I'm guessing its just a tube thats 5.5 inches long.

-Jason
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I was actually thinking the same thing a while back.  It seems that you can get the Post ban XM177 kit.   I believe that as long as the FS is welded to the barrel to the tune of the legal legnth is OK.

But the snag seesm to be the FS itself.   I believe I was told you would have to cover up the slots for it not to be a FS.   That and lack of funding in the end put the brakes on my purchase.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you cover up the slots, and you weld the muzzle opening up so as to only allow the opening to be as large as the bullet. (like a legal muzzle brake ).. You have just made yourself a one wipe sound supressor.. A big problem.. and an illegal one..

John
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wait till sept. It seems like a waste to try to convert a pre- upper to post- status for 4 months.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top