Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 4:05:59 PM EDT
I went shooting last week with my ar for the first time and holy shit did it get hot after 3 mags.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't stop until all my mags are empty, I bring 6 -12 loaded.
Then the rifle sits while I reload.
I repeat until I've shot all the ammo I had with me.
Rifle cools while I clean up my brass and targets and whatever else I made a mess with.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
until the CLP ignites

heh heh heh

then i put it down

Stainless
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If the rifle is borrowed, until the gas tube glows bright red.

If you own it till it is slightly warm.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't worry about it till I'm done shooting. I got guns hot enough in my old  career field to not worry about if they get hot or not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. it's true... happiness is a warm gun... but elation and sublime joy require alot more heat!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cool down? Unless you are worried about accuracy degrading for target shooting I wouldn't worry about. I doubt the heat from semi auto fire causes any problems, well as long as you don't set it down on a tarp like I did.

I was doing some rambo moves.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The gun is built being intended for full-auto, unless you are worried about accuracy, your AR can take it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
About enough time as the instructor allows to reload a few more mags before its time to hit the line again.   And a usual 20min or so lunch.  

Nomex flight gloves help, even in sweltering hot weather.   No more blisters!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate it when the barrel melts a nylon case or something if you set the gun on it by accident.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pay heed to this sage advice.  Nomex gloves help a great deal when doing serious work/shooting/training.  Always have a pair with your rifle if at all possible.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay heed to this sage advice.  Nomex gloves help a great deal when doing serious work/shooting/training.  Always have a pair with your rifle if at all possible.

Any place to get those for cheap? The ones I had in the Air Force are beat up and aren't worth using. I bought a cheap pair of gloves at Wally World that don't have fingertips and I find those much easier for loading ammo and cleaning my gun if I have to.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I hate it when the barrel melts a nylon case or something if you set the gun on it by accident.

Or the plastic bumper of your wifes Nissan Pathfinder.

Boy did I hurt for awhile after she found out.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the plastic bumper of your wifes Nissan Pathfinder
Chris

LOL!   For me, it was a friend-of-a-friend's S-10 Blazer rear bumper trim.   I kept my mouth shut...

Eaglebite-  Hatch brand flight gloves are pretty inexpensive new.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#17]
LOL! I love it! The gloves are tactical!

It's a good idea really to have some gloves. I've come close to scortching myself enough times now...
I'm gonna have to get me some. Yea! More toys to buy!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Hatch operator gloves. The new style are above the wrist w/ a strap to secure them. No problems w/ heat anymore. -Justin
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Any place to get those for cheap? The ones I had in the Air Force are beat up and aren't worth using. I bought a cheap pair of gloves at Wally World that don't have fingertips and I find those much easier for loading ammo and cleaning my gun if I have to.

Everyone has them for cheap.  OMB police supply, and EPS (Express Police Supply) to name a few.  They only run about 20 dollars.  I haven't got around to getting any yet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Hey what about some wrist length kevlar gloves,somone must make those, right?

Aimless-  I always take them and just fold the cuff over (not in) , which ends up making them slightly longer than wrist length.  This has always worked well for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top