Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2004 2:29:21 PM EDT
barrels get worn. but does that mean you throw away the upper?

how long does a lower receiver last in the military?
if they only replaced them when needed, we would have lowers from vietnam.right?

are most guns mix'n match guns or factory\contracr guns?

i was thinking about this today and figured it was worth asking.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
in my nat. guard unit.  we have the AR-15's from the original Air Force order during Vietnam.  It wasnt until a little over a year ago did our armory strip everything off the Colt AR-15 lowers and build new A2's.   our newly built rifles have A1 stocks, which is strange, but perferable IMO.  until then our armory was constantly fixing broke rifles.  on a side note our SP's have new A2's.  
Remman
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
There are tons of old (and yes, even Vietnam-era) 16's still in military service.  Hell, I had just as many A1's as A2's issued to me and I even saw a couple of crates of brand-new M16's (as in "A-nothing") sitting in a warehouse at one point.

When you take into account that most military personnel are in a support role and might only put a couple-hundred rounds through their issue rifles in a year's time, you can see how these rifles can last decades.  I can imagine a lot of M16's have been worn more from over-cleaning than actual firing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can imagine a lot of M16's have been worn more from over-cleaning than actual firing.

Now, if only we could convinve .gov to let us buy them back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Amen.  I would give a good chunk of change for one particular FN A2.  It was the last 16 I was issued before I ETSed and it was perfect.  I know both of my grandpa's were given the option to buy their service weapon (either rifle or sidearm) on their way out.  I would have killed (not literally, probably) for that option...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats how I got my 1st 1911,my dad carried it in korea.Bought it from the government on his way out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend whos father, an ex udt, and great man is on his last days. He owns his m-16, is that legal as a heirloom?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Amen.  I would give a good chunk of change for one particular FN A2.  It was the last 16 I was issued before I ETSed and it was perfect.  I know both of my grandpa's were given the option to buy their service weapon (either rifle or sidearm) on their way out.  I would have killed (not literally, probably) for that option...

Well, literally, it could have been considered in the line of duty.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, literally, it could have been considered in the line of duty.

You know, I didn't think about it from that angle.  I was talking about the armorer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top