Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 7:11:17 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a Bushmaster 16" modular carbine in the comming months.  I'm also going to apply for a C&R FFL, and BATF Form 1 to make an SBR.  I'm wondering, once I'm OK'd to make the SBR will it be possible to cut the Bushy down and make it 14.5" *total* with A2 flash hidder?  I think I read that chrome lining makes it difficult to cut and recrown the barrel.  I'm looking to build a nice compact carbine for cool factor, and for use around the house if ever needed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#1]
flaking?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I'm asking???
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've cut quite a few chrome lined FAL barrels with no problems.  I've never seen a flaking problem.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Grunteled - if you want to convert your 16" to a 14.5" M4 upper with no worries about flaking or an improper cut down, why not just trade it?  I've got a couple Bushmaster M4 uppers I'd like to swap for 16" or 20" uppers, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about buying a Bushmaster 16" modular carbine in the comming months.  I'm also going to apply for a C&R FFL, and BATF Form 1 to make an SBR.  I'm wondering, once I'm OK'd to make the SBR will it be possible to cut the Bushy down and make it 14.5" *total* with A2 flash hidder?  I think I read that chrome lining makes it difficult to cut and recrown the barrel.  I'm looking to build a nice compact carbine for cool factor, and for use around the house if ever needed.

Did you just mention getting a C&R offhand , or do you think it has something to do with this process ??
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Did you just mention getting a C&R offhand , or do you think it has something to do with this process ??

No, not offhand.  In Missouri you are required to hold an FFL to own NFA items.  It seems that the easiest to get is the C&R.  It's just a paperwork requirement to comply with a stupid law.

Thanks all for the input.  I don't know when I'm going to complete all the paperwork and thus I may buy the upper long before I have approval and tax stamp in hand.  I like the modular carbine upper and that way the only thing I'd have to modify would be the barrel.  Sounds like it's not that difficult to get done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
oh that's right.... silly state laws :)
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Chrome-lined barrels are hard-chromed. It's very different from the chrome on your Harley.

When done properly, and with care, it's just as good as new.

We've cut hundreds of chrome-lined barrels and have yet to see one "flake".

That about ends the debate in my eyes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Kurt Wala of KKF cut my 16" Bushy HBAR down to 14.5" and gave it the M4 profile and permanetly attached one of his A3 Tac Brakes to bring it out to the legal 16" and it hasn't 'flaked' .  Its damn accurate too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
You should also take not that the process of hard chroming has advanced quite a bit over the past couple of decades.  Any modern chrome lined barrels shouldn't flake when cut or after.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top