Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 3:56:25 AM EDT

I would like my rear site to be centered.  Currently when it is centered, point of impact is almost five inches to the right at 50 yards.  I found that by moving my rear site 15 clicks left it shoots dead on.  For my rear site to be centered and keep poi where it is I assume I need to rotate the front site to the right.  I think by moving the front site about 3/4 the width of the blade, my problem will be fixed.  

I have an Armalite so it has allen screws instead of pins holding the front site on.  Is it as simple as it seems or am I about to mess something up?  Is there a certain amout of torque these screws need to be set at?  Any tricks or things not to do?  Will the handguards rotate as well or is that end cap that holds them on seperate from the site?  Any concerns with the gas tube?  Am I being too anal and need to quit taking up forum space with stupid questions and just do it?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, if it zeros it's good to go in my book.

As my M4s have #40 BUIS items on them and almost every one is off right or left but zero fine using the IBZ method, I see no problems with yours.

forgeta'boutit!

Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it as simple as it seems or am I about to mess something up?  Is there a certain amout of torque these screws need to be set at?  Any tricks or things not to do?  Will the handguards rotate as well or is that end cap that holds them on seperate from the site?

I am new to the AR but I haven't seen a front sight adjustable for windage before.  I have always read that the front sight is only for elevation.  I know that looking at my front sight post, there is no feasable way to adjust it for windage except for rolling the whole front sight housing and that would look very starnge and it wouldn't allow you to use the rear sight because the front sight would move out of direct relation to the rear sight.  Maybe I am wrong and way off here but I don't think you are going to be able to do what you are wanting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
What you want to do with your Armalite adjustable front sight base is easy.

Just pull the bolt carrier while at the range, and prop the upper up on sand bags so that you can see the center of your target thru the bore at 25 yards.  Mechanically center your rear sight for windage.  Now adjust the allen/set screws on the front sight base.  Loosen them on one side, and tighten the other side as you go.  Once you have a "perfect" sight picture(windage wise) on the target with the irons, be sure to recheck that you are still "bore sighted" thru the barrel.

When I installed a clamp on PRI front sight/gas block this way, my windage ended up only 3 or 4 clicks away from perfection.  If I had set screws, I think getting it (mechanical windage) perfectly centered would have been possible.  If after live firing you are still off more than desired, repeat the adjustment, maybe using a more distant target.  HTH.

Paladin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top