Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 9:20:47 AM EDT
I recently ordered a GG&G forearm from ADCO, and I thought I would pass along my review of this product.

Bottom line up front:  I like this newest addition to my AR stuff.  

First impression:  This product was professionally packaged.  

Utility knife in hand, I opened everything up.  My oh my.  This thing really has a lot of screws.  This really isn't my first look.  I examined one at a demo a month earlier, but I didn't give it a going over, unlike when mine arrived.  The demo version was assembled, so I didn't see how many screws there were until I received it.

Installation: My concerns were eased as I installed the handguard on a Model 1 stainless, fluted, HBar upper.  Installation was painless.  If not for the photos I took along the way, I figure I would have been done in twenty minutes.  I spent about 45 minutes.  If this was all I did for a living, I could probably do it in ten minutes.  

I removed the gas tube and dremeled the delta, weld, and snap rings off.  I proceeded to loosely install  the handguards and check for proper fit.  Screwing the two piece foregrip together was uneventful.  I was able to adjust the handguard alignment by loosening the screws on one side to make minute adjustments and properly align the handguards.  Once this thing is tightened down, it isn't moving or otherwise shaking loose, IMO.

The upper rail is in perfect alignment and the exact height of the Model 1 flat top upper.  The rails accomodate my ARMS and GG&G mounts.  

I intentionally left a hairline space between the upper and the handguard, but it would've fit snug against it if I choose to mount it that way.

Misc:    The fact that I could install this without removing the front sight base was an important consideration for the selection of this handguard system.  I can also uninstall it the same way if maintenance or other reasons require it.  The other important factor was the systems modularity.  I can tailor it for my needs, which in this case, means the addition of a Surefire light and perhaps a forward grip.   This arrangement balances well with my ACE tubular stock set.

I have elected to not loctite the screws in at this time.  I am taking the two types of screws to a fastner sales place and purchasing extra versions.

This thing may be a bit too modular for many hobbyists.  Perhaps a simpler, cheaper version with less screws would be more practical for shooters looking to only hang a red dot and a light on their rifle.  

I would buy a full length version of the current design if GG&G decides to make one.

Here are more pics:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/ThumbnailView.asp?iGalleryUnq=1423

I have about 200 rounds down the pipe with no problems.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#1]
How is the weight and balance on it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the balance of it, but I'm only shooting 20 round mags.  It feels better and seems lighter than my YHM quadrail.  With just an ARMS #40 and no fancy add-ons, it's light enough for me, but then almost anything is, after carting around a FAL.  I'll load up some 30 rounders tomorrow.  I also don't have the Eotech 552 and surefire light yet that are planned for this rifle, so after I'm done hanging shit off it, it's going to be heavy when all toys are attached.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice
I see you use a dremel to get your parts off.  Smart!  I removed my barrel to get mine on.  Are you thinking about making your bottom into a full rail?  If so, go with the 12 & 6 o'clock half length rail.  BTW, I did not loctite my screws.  It's been 4 months and I haven't had a problem with them yet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the time & effort spent, Omar!

I'm a little curious as to why this GG&G FF handguard has not received a warmer welcome from the folks here at ARFCOM?

In my experience, GG&G makes very high quality accessories & this forearm set-up seems like a suitable substitute for the likes of the KAC URX II & the Troy Ind. MRF.

Is it unusually heavy? Is it all the screws that scare some people off? Is it over priced?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
NYPatriot,

It isn't the lightest system out there, but it is far from the heaviest.  The non rail portions of the handguard are manufactured from solid acetal cold polymer which has the composition of Bakelite and weighs very little.  It also uses the existing handguard clip, which covers, but doesn't contact, the front of the handguards.  This appears lighter than the arrangement that the YHM Spectre uses to cover the front.

Once the screws are in, I don't think they are going anywhere.  They aren't visually distracting once the handguard is assembled, since many screw holes are covered by the the handguards.  At first I thought the holes were just drilled and tapped, but GG&G uses stainless steel helicoils in the holes, and I suspect this allows less liklihood of screws backing out.  I also have about six or eight screws left over for spares.  

How it compares to the Knight's or other handguards, I don't know, since I have no hands on experience with them.  I shoot with a guy that puts nothing but Knight's HGs on his Colt's, so I'll have to compare them sometime.  I don't think the price is out of line for what it is.  Spending $400 for handguards just rubs me the wrong way, even though I can afford it.

I did a lot of research before I decided on this system.  I got this one from ADCO for $233 and it meets MY requirements.   A novice with little or no mechanical ability can mount this.  Novice or not, many may not wish to remove the front sight assembly.  The GG&G handguard provides an alternative to this.

Others mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I just installed one on a preban upper and love it!  Even though it seems like a lot of screws, they allow you to install the rails and panels where YOU want them.  Remember, there are only 6 screws used to install the forearm to the upper.  All of the other screws that you SEE are for the rails, panels, etc.  I replaced a RAS II with this forearm and don't regret it for a minute.  It's so nice not to have a HUMP in the middle of everything.   I now have a CONTINUOUS top rail which allows me to use my EOTech where I want it!  Since I use a M900 on the bottom, I didn't install any side panels,  which made the upper super slim!  I'll post some pics when I get a chance.  

And best of all these are priced WAY BELOW the RAS at only $205-220 online.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Lets see some pics on a complete carbine. (Please)
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Am I seeing that right? One scope, 2 reflex sights and a doo hicky on the bottom?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
1 scope, 1Holosight, 1 doohickey (predator coaxer).  Remote control mounted on other side.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top