Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 8:01:18 PM EDT
What is the best muzzle brake you can recommend for a Bush M4A2 w/ 14.5 in. barrel, that will reduce felt recoil, and will not be very long? I am considering a Mini Y, what is your comments on this brake? can I still mount a bayonet? thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The mini y is very loud! Felt recoil? What felt recoil? AR's have a recoil? Sorry, I hadn't noticed.

Since you live in the Phillipeans, there is no AWB is there?
Since you can have a FH, why on earth would you want a mini y?

As far as a bayonet goes, put a Phantom FS on it and the bayonet will still fit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The mini y is very loud! Felt recoil? What felt recoil? AR's have a recoil? Sorry, I hadn't noticed.

Since you live in the Phillipeans, there is no AWB is there?
Since you can have a FH, why on earth would you want a mini y?

As far as a bayonet goes, put a Phantom FS on it and the bayonet will still fit.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh no no no no, mini-Y is a serious NO-NO.

I have one and when you fire the thing it blows gas back to you. It is very annoying to other shooters nearby and more importantly when you fire in prone it blows gas RIGHT IN YOUR FACE. Also, it makes the carbine unnecessarily louder to shoot (if I had the choice I would not use this weapon for self-defense just because I don't want to hear a lightning crack going off right next to me).

However, it DOES reduce the felt recoil and muzzle rise. But there isn't much to begin with, anyway.

If I were you I would put either closed-bottom Phantom or Vortex G6 on mine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the AK style brake is supposed to be very effective.  No one I know likes the mini-Y, and those that have it hate it, including anyone shooting next to you.  Some people have modified their mini-y so that they are not so obnoxious.  The directions were posted here but can't find it until the search function returns.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a mini y and took it off almost immediately.  Replaced it with a Levang and am very happy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top