Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2004 6:32:42 AM EDT
I neglected my M4 and got rust on the smith vortex flash suppressor and the metal portion of the telescopic buttstock.  The stuff worked great in removing rust.  However, I got a little on my barrel.  What are my options?

1)  Cheap
2)  Not so cheap options

What should I do to protect the metal of my flash suppressor after removing the rust?  Thanks[
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You should have used steel wool and perhaps a wire brush at most.  You put phosphoric acid on your weapon.  All blue and rust remover is is re-branded naval jelly.

CLP will keep it from rusting as will not storing it in a gun case and not storing it in the damper parts of the house.  Upper levels are better.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I took the birchwood casey blue and rust remover and did use a steeel brush but am looking for different options.  the mark is not too big where it ran.  thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a good reason why I am not getting any input.  I truly am surprised.  I have always gotten some great responses but failed in this respect.  I put the same thread in maintenance and got nothing.  Is there a reason?  Please help with what I should do.  thanks in advance.  ralph
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess you could send the upper off to somebody like Bigbore ( I think he has prices for refinishing on his website ) ADCO

Ask him in the Industry forum:

ADCO's forum
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top