Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 3:57:35 PM EDT
Isn't the elevation dial on a .223 a little silly.  I don't know but it seems that terminal ballistics and accuracy with iron sights that far out (past battle sight zero) would make it a hope and a prayer thing.  Probably great if you had a bunch of guys doing an area fire type thing.

So, are you better off just getting an A1 type upper with an A2 apperture.  This gives durability and the best from each style.  Please tell me what I am missing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
akconvert,

A2 is much easier to adjust and thus mure precise IMO. Considering that all the armed forces use A2 sights, tells you that they are as durable as they can get. Lot of people say A1 sights are more durable, but hell let's be serious none of the civilian ar's see nothing close to combat use and never will.

halik
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer an A1 with an A2 aperature.  Mostly because it's harder to knock out of zero.  Unless you push the button, it's pretty much locked in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
yes and no...

the dial is helpful to some people they are able to make 500m siloette shots all day long...

but i see a benifit to the a1 upper... if its a SHTF weapon i'd say go with the a1...  but if you think you'll do some longer shots then the a2 is a must... either way get the a2 appetures or other good ones...

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind that soldiers are concerned about man-sized targets at all ranges, not mouse sized.  The Army does not care about sub-MOA accuracy for normal service rifles.  A properly trained soldier can rather easily hit  a waist high, man-sized target at 400 meters with an M16.  

Beyond 400 meters it certainly becomes more of a challenge.  With the poor ballistic coefficient of the M16 round the thing slows down pretty rapidly and there is alot of drop at the terminal ranges beyond 200-300 meters.  Hence, the elevation adjustable rear sight on the A2's and M4's to aid the soldier in conpensating for huge drops out to say 600-800 meters.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I dumped my A2 uppers for A1/C7's years ago! Stupid sights.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
A3

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top