Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2004 6:59:13 AM EDT
The Bushmaster Superlight 16" Barrel is $195, While the Model 1 16" C.A.R. Lightweight Barrel is $135.  Is the Bushy worth the extra $60?  I realize it's chrome lined while the Model 1 is not, but I'm curios if there's any other concerns re: Model 1 barrel quality.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they both chrome lined?h=85%

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what you want to do with it and how much $60 dollars is worth to you.

For me, I'd go with the bushy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't believe model1 offers chrome lined standard barrels unless they have added this to their lineup(possible since they have added a bunch of new stuff lately). Their ER Shaw barrels were previously all  steel (either moly or stainless). As for quality, I have a buddy who built an AR with a Model1 20" bull stainless 1-8 twist, it shoots 1 MOA or better consistently, seems to be of good quality, no problems yet (he's sent about 200 rounds down the pipe so far). An ER Shaw barrel is no Krieger or Douglas, but they have a good reputation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I still think chrome lining's overrated, but I'd recommend the Bushmaster barrel. The Model1 doesn't include the delta ring assembly, gas tube, handguards, and (I've heard) the front sight post.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I still think chrome lining's overrated, but I'd recommend the Bushmaster barrel. The Model1 doesn't include the delta ring assembly, gas tube, handguards, and (I've heard) the front sight post.

That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for, thanks NaL.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Much like everyone else, I would go with the Bushie.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, the Bushie has a forged FSB while almost everyone elses are cast.  Unlikely that you will ever break one, but it is good to know that you have the best.  I would get the Bushie.  Considering that the barrel and bolt is what serves to chamber the massive explosion of the powder and fire, I think $60 is a good insurance policy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
norman74, if you are going to buy the superlight barrel from Bushmaster's web site, then you are getting the "barrel only" for $195. It costs $219.95 with all the stuff Not_A_Llama's talkin about.
Flashlegs
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
norman74, if you are going to buy the superlight barrel from Bushmaster's web site, then you are getting the "barrel only" for $195. It costs $219.95 with all the stuff Not_A_Llama's talkin about.
Flashlegs

Actually, the Bushmaster "barrel only" still comes with all of the hard to install stuff, it's just lacking the delta ring, handguards & gas tube.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp

or as "Barrel Only" with barrel nut; handguard cap and front sight.

As I'll be installing a carbon fiber free float tube anyway, I don't need any of that other stuff (including the handguard cap actually) and I'll just buy a loose gas tube.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
get the bushmaster...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for, thanks NaL.

Actually, the Bushmaster "barrel only" still comes with all of the hard to install stuff, it's just lacking the delta ring, handguards & gas tube.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp

or as "Barrel Only" with barrel nut; handguard cap and front sight.

As I'll be installing a carbon fiber free float tube anyway, I don't need any of that other stuff (including the handguard cap actually) and I'll just buy a loose gas tube.

norman74, just thought I'd let you know, in case you were gonna purchase from Bushmaster under the impression that it was complete(everything in front of upper receiver)
Flashlegs
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Also, the Bushie has a forged FSB while almost everyone elses are cast.  Unlikely that you will ever break one, but it is good to know that you have the best.  

Model1 is forged, so is everyone elses but DPMS.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Bush. '04.

/S2
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Depends on what you want to do with it and how much $60 dollars is worth to you.

For me, I'd go with the bushy.

I agree.. Nothing beats BM!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, the Bushie has a forged FSB while almost everyone elses are cast.  Unlikely that you will ever break one, but it is good to know that you have the best.  

Model1 is forged, so is everyone elses but DPMS.

Olympic front sights are also cast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
IIRC from Tyrod's flyweight AR thread the BM is lighter too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top