Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 4:41:27 AM EDT
So...the AWB sunsets in a few months...what becomes of all these "LE/Military Only" marked lowers out there?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess it should be obvious if the AWB sunsets and there is NO LONGER A LAW regarding it but like Bigbore said, the ATF isn't too keen on the obvious...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I worked a task force with ATF last night and asked the same question.  They advised that when the law expires it simply becomes irrelevant.  Anyone can own the "LEO" rifles.  One agent added that they think the law is stupid anyway.  I guess very few cases have ever been filed using the law .
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
LEO lowers for agentcies may stay LEO because they are tax-exempt when purchased new,but anyone will probabley be able to own a used one
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
what is the difference in the lowers compared to a lower not marked ?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The difference is they are stamped police, law enforcement, etc.  They may actually become a little more valuable than your average post ban lower, due to the cop groupies that will buy anything with police/law enforcement written on it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Even with AWB in effect it really only matters if the the LEO marked lower is used with pre-ban features if it is civillian owned.

AFAIK, all a LEO marked lower does is positively identify it as a post-ban lower.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Even with AWB in effect it really only matters if the the LEO marked lower is used with pre-ban features if it is civillian owned.

AFAIK, all a LEO marked lower does is positively identify it as a post-ban lower.

He is 100% correct!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, but here's my thinking...if the AWB sunsets, even if only for a brief amount of time (worst case senario, Kerry wins), and all these existing LEO lowers are now in private hands, how would they make the next differentiation between lowers? I forsee someone saying "that's their problem", but I think most of us will agree that "they" will make it "our" problem if it ever comes to head. The whole pre-ban vs. post-ban, "was it a complete rifle before 9/14/94, you have to prove it even though you're the 5th owner" issue has been concerning to say the least. Serial numbers have been less than a sure-fire way to prove status. I believe in a post-AWB world, the difference will be in the overzealous or un-AR-educated officers who will be quick to point out your weapon is marked in a way that you souldn't have it. After the ban falls, I don't think most people will care or desire to own a LEO lower at that time. New lowers will be available from dozens of manufacturers. If I have my druther's, I will buy new too. I was just curious about the LEO lower issue. Have fun guys.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

the LEO marking
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top