Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2004 12:41:04 PM EDT
Does anyone know if this model of rifle was built on a milled or on a stamped receiver  (or were different models made)?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I happen to own the rifle in question. The lower is forged. Also the flash hider is 4.5" NOT 5.5".

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy that rifle if you can- Mine looked like as sorry as a three legged dog sitting in the rack at a local pawn shop,  upper held in place with ELECTRICAL TAPE!  Rear take down pin was missing!!  The price was right, so I adopted her, gave her some new springs, pins and a bath.   First trip to the range was very nice, 3" @ 100 yds. ,  15" gong @ 300 was regularly abused.     Mine is marked CAR-AR  with the SGW "stop sign" marking.      It's forged, 5.5" flash suppresor on the end of a 11.5" bbl.  you lose a good bit of velocity with the short bbl.,  i'm going to have Oly remanufacture my receiver if they keep the AWB in place and put a 16" upper on it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the explanation on the receiver Troy.
I appreciate the info DVCER. Good to know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If that's the case, then either the barrel is longer, or the barrel is only legal on a full-auto or SBR rifle.

-Troy

11.5+4.5=16 Is this not ccrrect? Minimum overall barrel length is 16" correct? I base this on measuring "inside" the flash hider. Inside is 4.5". So I will ASSume the barrel is 11.5" Again is this correct? If I am wrong please tell me.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive got the same model you are speaking of. Love it... Just had Oly remake the lower, bought a new upper at the same time and had a lower parts kit installed.. Got a "new" preban now.. Whatever happens with the AWB.... BTW mine was all forged before the remake.

John
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My Oly "Commando" (ca. early '94) was on a milled lower when I bought it earlier this year, but it very well could have been back to the factory to ditch the original forging if it in fact came with one.

I'd estimate that it had between 500 and 750 rounds put through it before I bought it.  It shoots around 2.5" groups and it eats everything I throw at it and begs for more, even the crappiest steel-cased Russkie crap I can find.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
11.5+4.5=16 Is this not ccrrect? Minimum overall barrel length is 16" correct? I base this on measuring "inside" the flash hider. Inside is 4.5". So I will ASSume the barrel is 11.5" Again is this correct? If I am wrong please tell me.

Ahh... normally we don't use interior measurements of the FS, but external.

11.5" + 4.5" = 16", yes, but only if you were to butt the parts up to each other and weld them together.  If you are screwing one onto the other, there is going to be some overlap, and you're going to loose about .6" of length overall.  Thus, the 5.5" FS was made, so that when attached to an 11.5" barrel, you get a total length of about 16.3-16.4" of legal length.

-Troy

Now I understand. Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My Oly "Commando" (ca. early '94) was on a milled lower when I bought it earlier this year, but it very well could have been back to the factory to ditch the original forging if it in fact came with one.

I'd estimate that it had between 500 and 750 rounds put through it before I bought it.  It shoots around 2.5" groups and it eats everything I throw at it and begs for more, even the crappiest steel-cased Russkie crap I can find.

Mine used to do the same until polymer Wolf. Out of the thousand rounds of polymer Wolf I've had two FTE. In fact the extractor tore the rim of the case off. Knocked the empty out with a cleaning rod.

I've heard this is somewhat common with polymer Wolf. That's too bad as it is not nearly as filthy as lacquer.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I've also got a forged SGW/Oly marked reciever that I put together back in 88.  Still have a 11.5"/5.5" bbl on it till tomorrow or so.  Just recieved Friday my 16" bbl from Brownells.  I'm  in the process of turning my XM177 copy into a M4.  Got to the point where I'm tried of the velocity loss and accuracy at longer ranges.  (shoot mostly M885 and the 11.5 combo has a 1:12)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top