Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2004 11:43:24 AM EDT
I had a chance this moring to go out to the range and shoot my new toy. It started off well by seeing what kinda groups it would throw. With reloads I was getting 1" groups consistantly.  The about the 5th loading of my 9 round mag. when it was empty the bolt did not hold open, nor did it close!!  Apparently the bolt has bent the cheapo bolt catch model 1 sends out with their kits.  The next flaw was the happer spring it had was to big to get in the gap to hold the trigger pin in. Luckily I had all the parts to correct the problems.   So for model 1 I would give them maybe a 6.5-7 out of 10 on thier kits. RRA lowers,  still not sure if they suck or not,  everything is starting to work fine, except it still takes a delrin hammer to put this puppie back together which is a relly good thing maybe.  The next AR I build will be maybe a model 1 upper since it is super,  and either bushy or DPMS lower kit.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow you give Model 1 more credit than I would.  Having problems like that, that soon into owning a gun would not make me happy and would make me apprehensive about a company like Model 1.   As for the RRA lower looks to me like the best choice you made for your AR.  I find using a hammer for the first month to be a good thing.  I like high tolerances; it makes for a solid finial product.  

If I was you, I would stray from model 1, and stick with the RRA.

-Matt
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the second recent instance I've read of a soft bolt catch from the Model 1/JT distributing/Doublestar businesses. I'll bet there will be more.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Model 1 sales must have started using cheaper parts.  All of the kits of theirs that I built in the past are still running strong.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You sure the cat didn't break it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad it was an easy fix for you.  Nice looking rifle, and the cat reminds me of mine-he likes my AR too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow you give Model 1 more credit than I would.  
-Matt

Thats what I read too. Kells almost bypasses Model 1 crappy product and then decides that his next gun will include the same crappy upper and a Busy lower. What about RRA? WTF did they do except build a quality product with tight tolerances? He sounds like the same type of guy that would blame his onw wife for being raped. Idiot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I use RRA parts on all my ARs 3 being bushmaster and never had a problem,get my parts from pete in NH or eaglefirearms.net.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
DOA,

you are way out of line. Kells said that he's very satisfied with the Model 1 upper only the lower parts kit gave his troublem. He also built that gun on RRA lower. You might take your brand bashing somewhere else, looser.

halik
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
kells you need to get a RRA gun...  quick the mix and match crap... model 1 is < RRA... and so quite fooling yourself into saving money... spend it.. or don't spend any at all...

rra has tight tolerences because they are pimp... most guns come sloppy and then break in slopper.... rra are tight and break in perfect... i think this is a symbol of RRA brilliant machine processeses...  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Your cat has that "I told you not to use Model 1 parts" look on it's face.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
About two months ago I got my new RRA lower with internals and attached it to my oly 40 cal upper.  I have some of the FX mags that hold the bolt open on the last round.  The bolt catch broke on me on the first magazine.  Replaced it with a colt bolt catch.  

My friend and I ordered 2 RRA uppers about a week before that and when they came in, the rear sight aperture looked like it was off center, replaced that with a colt rear sight.  My friends was the same, and replaced it with a colt aperture as well.  The rest of it looks good though, but I think every manufacturer just lets bad crap get out once in a while.

edited** I meant bolt catch, not mag catch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#12]
DOA,

Well no I would not blame my wife for being raped, but thank you for making that judgment about me based on my displeasement about model 1.  I do not like model 1.  I think If you are going to spend the money on AR, another 60-100$ on some quality products instead of inserting cheep model 1 parts is defiantly worth it.  With an AR I just don’t think parts that you can’t trust are worth it.  Hell Steve at ADCO sells complete guns from RRA for under 700$, can’t beat that with a stick.  (STOP THE MIXING AND MATCHING TO SAVE MONEY!)

I love RRA I think there high tolerances are a showing of the excellent quality products.  I don’t know what your problem is, but you input was quickly filed in the trash.

I know I have not been the nicest person around here, but sometimes you should read something a few times and understand what a person has posted before you fly off the handle at them.  And if you are going to bash some one do it with some tact, and refrain from stupid comments like "wife raping".

-Matt
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow you give Model 1 more credit than I would.  
-Matt

Thats what I read too. Kells almost bypasses Model 1 crappy product and then decides that his next gun will include the same crappy upper and a Busy lower. What about RRA? WTF did they do except build a quality product with tight tolerances? He sounds like the same type of guy that would blame his onw wife for being raped. Idiot.

That rape stuff is outta line.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:25:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Matth3wdean,

DOA was talking about Kells, not you dude.

Wile I wouldn't go so far as to necessarily agree with the rape statement, I would have to agree with everything else that DOA wrote.

Ditch the model 1 crap and stick with good quality stuff like Bushy, RRA, Fulton armory, etc.

And for you people who think that brand bashing makes us loosers.  All I gotta say is that the truth hurts, dosn't it?

I myself don't have a pet company that I like to push the product of, but I do take issue with crap manufacturers.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Gotta love the "if it's not Bushmaster, RRA, Fulton, DPMS, then it's crap" attitude.

halik
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gotta love the "if it's not Bushmaster, RRA, Fulton, DPMS, then it's crap" attitude.

halik

Its not attitude, its the truth.  Its not somthing I have made up just for shits and giggles. Its an opinion based on observation. I have been involved with AR-15's for nearly 9 years now, and I build my own instead of buying complete rifles.  I have seen the quality of many companies and in my honest opinion, companies such as model 1 have quite earned the title of "bottom feeders".

I didn't just arbitrarily decide to dislike their product, they did that to themselves by making a clearly inferior product.

I don't need to hang them, they hung themselves.

And by the way, you sound like my ex wife.  The only things that had value to her were things that were cheap.  Didn't matter what its quality was, if she could get more of it for the least amount of money, then it was right and good in her eyes.

I don't mind a good deal, but in some cases the saying "you get what you pay for" really does apply.

Your defense of a company that many people have had nothing but bad experiences with(myself included) by accusing those same people of having an abritrary bias simply for the sake of defending your pet company without knowing or even asking why we don't like their product is small minded at best.

Best advice I can give you is this:  Grow up.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

halik

Its not attitude, its the truth.  Its not somthing I have made up just for shits and giggles. Its an opinion based on observation. I have been involved with AR-15's for nearly 9 years now, and I build my own instead of buying complete rifles.  I have seen the quality of many companies and in my honest opinion, companies such as model 1 have quite earned the title of "bottom feeders".

I didn't just arbitrarily decide to dislike their product, they did that to themselves by making a clearly inferior product.

I don't need to hang them, they hung themselves.

And by the way, you sound like my ex wife.  The only things that had value to her were things that were cheap.  Didn't matter what its quality was, if she could get more of it for the least amount of money, then it was right and good in her eyes.

I don't mind a good deal, but in some cases the saying "you get what you pay for" really does apply.

Your defense of a company that many people have had nothing but bad experiences with(myself included) by accusing those same people of having an abritrary bias simply for the sake of defending your pet company without knowing or even asking why we don't like their product is small minded at best.

Best advice I can give you is this:  Grow up.

Chris

Actually my "pet/fetish" whaever u might wanna calll it company is RRA. I do own few model 1 sales uppers and am very happy with them. Nobody is saying model 1 are suppose to be or is of the same quality like the big five. They are economy/value priced items for model 1 for perople that don't want to spend $450-500 on a upper alone.  Of course the good old "you get what u paid for" saying applies, it always does. But calling them crap is BS and childish. They do what they are suppose to do and whet they are advertized to do.

halik
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#18]
you get what you pay for............just like a couple of posters wrote, why mix and match when you can buy a complete rifle for a hundred or less dollars more than what you paid???............
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top