Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2004 4:08:40 AM EDT
Hello everyone
I was curious as to who the forger is that uses the stamp that looks like a keyhole, and has three stars inside strung vertically. Also If you can list some of the companys that use this stamp it would be helpful. The barel is a bushy M4gery, and I was told the upper was factory but I have never known BM to use this stamp
Bulldawg
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
My Rock River Arms upper has the same mark.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#2]

The keyhole forging mark is Cerro, and it appears they're selling raw forgings to all the major manufacturers...

www.cerrofabricated.com/products_firearm.htm

edited to add: Bulldawg, my last two Bushmaster uppers which came direct from Bushmaster have the Cerro forging mark...
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a continuous topic of discussion.

Two things to remember:

#1  There are companies out there that produce raw receiver forgings and sell them as raw forgings to firearm manufacturers.

#2  These raw forgings are purchased and finished by the manufacturers and assembled on their product (rifles) and sold.

Unless you have a "C AF, C M, C MB, LMT, Les Baer(?)or some other upper with definite manufacturer/finisher ID like that, there is no real guarantee of who finished the receiver unless you have received it directly from a manufacturer.

I've had factory Bushmasters and DPMS with the keyhole mark.  Supposedly even some Colts have this mark, although I have not seen one in person yet (I think I saw a picture here once).  I also have two factory Bushmaster rifles with the broken "A" - Anchor Harvey forging mark.  Probably comes down to which forging company has the cheapest/most available raw forgings when the need arises by which manufacturering company needs them at that time.  Bushiness is business.

So a statement such as "That upper is Bushmaster because it has the keyhole forging mark" or some sililiar statement may not always be correct.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone
I am glad to hear it is not some 3 world country copy
Bulldawg
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
My upper has a "AR" and a Circle and crosshairs?    I assumed this was Armalite?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Supposedly even some Colts have this mark, although I have not seen one in person yet (I think I saw a picture here once).

You are correct sir!

Unless you have a "C AF, C M, C MB, LMT, Les Baer(?)or some other upper with definite manufacturer/finisher ID like that, there is no real guarantee of who finished the receiver unless you have received it directly from a manufacturer.

Here is an example for newcomers of a C AF (Colt, Alcoa Forge) marked upper:

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, CJan, now you are just showing off!!  That second upper is the sweet deal you got off of ebay, isn't it!!

But seriously, thanks for the great pics and info.  I wish there could be one final, authoratative thread to clarify this issue, but I learned this info while building my first few ARs and I am glad to share info with others.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok, CJan, now you are just showing off!!  That second upper is the sweet deal you got off of ebay, isn't it!!

Showing off?

Yes, that's the eBay upper

But seriously, thanks for the great pics and info.  I wish there could be one final, authoratative thread to clarify this issue, but I learned this info while building my first few ARs and I am glad to share info with others.

I'd love to see a thread like this. There are so many misconceptions on this subject, particularly on auction sites.

Edited to add: I can host pics if anyone wants to submit them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
So no markings whatsoever means the upper could have came from anywhere? Just how many manufacturers are forging uppers these days? And who are some current goverment contractors?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top