Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2004 7:09:43 PM EDT
Went to the range to sight in my AR and was talkin to others at the range.

This fella pulled a case outa his truck and struggled to carry it to the line.

He pulled out a 50cal Barret. I got to shoot it 3 times. MAN that is a GUN!!!

We were shooting armor piercing shells at a 2" thick plate and was getting a few to pass through it.

Wish Santa would bring me one.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a pic of the Barret from the web site. (for those who don't know}

I didn't mention that tha was 2"steel plate at 200 yards
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
But did you get the Bushy sighted?

Wow, I've often wanted to be able to fire a M82.  Was the recoil really as light as advertised?  Something along the lines of a longer shotgun kick, or black powder rifle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Got the bushy sighted nicely.

The barret was a little intimidateing at first. Just the thought of what I was about to shoot. The recoil as sorta like a 12gauge. But differant. It kinda pushed slowly as it thumped. The report was....AWESOME!!!!I shot from the prone position and it blew dust behind and to both sides for about 12feet, I know from watching the other fellas. When the bullets hit the plate there was this bright orange flash down range. I recovered one of the bullets from behind the plate at about 5" in the soil. It was the titanium core. Almost looked like it could be wiped clean and loaded again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
very cool!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that one of those WMD that I been hearing about on the news ???
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing like the sound of a .50 to make the day better
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It was the titanium core.

I'm not sure, but I think the .50 AP core is tungsten carbide.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was the titanium core.

I'm not sure, but I think the .50 AP core is tungsten carbide.

Yep, it is.  I've got one, found it on the far side of a mid-80s Chevy Cavilier.  Found another one last year, but mad ethe mistake of handing it to someone I didn't know.  I just wanted them to look at it, but they kept it.  They aren't that super hard to find, just have to keep your eyes open.  They go through something and strip the jacket off and then there is the core.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Your right, I got it confused. Here is a pic of the one I recovered.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont know anything about the Barret M82s but I've heard that barret rifles arent that accurate, is that just some made up crap?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The M82 is the rifle all other 50s want to be.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I dont know anything about the Barret M82s but I've heard that barret rifles arent that accurate, is that just some made up crap?

They are used to engage enemy personnel and materiel out to 1800 meters and longer. That would require a certain degree of accuracy. They are also used frequently in civilian long range rifle competitions.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I almost bought one at the gun show in Feb.  I had money in the bank from side jobs.  Unfortunatly my better sense kicked in and I didn't get it. Used the money for bills like I was supposed to.
Maybe by the end of summer I'll have the money to get one.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
That core is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
What is the core of standard full-metal-jacket made of.  Do all AP rounds have that solid metal core?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What is the core of standard full-metal-jacket made of.  Do all AP rounds have that solid metal core?

Lead is inside a standard FMJ.  As far as I know, all AP rounds have some form of solid core.  Many would be steel, but M995 is tungsten from what they say.  I don't know what the old black tip '06 bullets are.  Obviously the 50 AP ammo is tungsten carbide, that stuff just doesn't get hurt.  The point on mine is still really sharp.  It is harder than hammered hell and tough too!

That core is like .42 inches or so, and the jacket is just a standard COLORED jacket, but it is steel of some sort, or at least something that is magnetic.  I think that must be why, of all the standard 50 BMG ammo, the AP is the most accurate.  Tungsten Carbide core on the inside, steel jacket on the outside.  I would think that would make it a lot easier to keep from getting imbalanced compared to making a lead filled bullet balanced.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wow, I've often wanted to be able to fire a M82.  Was the recoil really as light as advertised?  Something along the lines of a longer shotgun kick, or black powder rifle.

Black Powder rifles barely kick even the 54. Cals I shot kick about like a 30-30.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#20]
not accurate?
thats what they use to take people out about a mile away isnt it?
I had thepleasure of shooting 42 rounds through one a few weeks back
its a mans gun
I want one
I also shot a bolt 50 match rifle
that was too brutal
you go blind for a sec
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
not accurate?
I had thepleasure of shooting 42 rounds through one a few weeks back
its a mans gun
I want one
I also shot a bolt 50 match rifle
that was too brutal
you go blind for a sec
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
My first two shots with a Barret were 2" at 200 yds.  That is 1 m.o.a.  

Yes, a long shove, about like a 12 ga.  The boom is really cool.  If standing behind the shooter the muzzle blast lays the grass down for quite an area out front and to the sides.  You can feel the blast hit you, like wind from a passing 18 wheeler.

You need to wear plug and muffs, and a swimmer's nose clip.  Some shooters, after 10-15 rounds, get headaches and nosebleeds from the blast going up their nose.

If you think you are going to blast off all 10 rounds in rapid fire, you have not shot a Barret.  It takes a while for you to recover after each shot, then get back in position, reacquire the target, etc.  Might as well be a single shot bolt for all it matters.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Hehehe.  

I've fired one of those OFFHAND at the pit.

I'm sure there are a couple of IL guys that remember that.

I'm not sure who's it was, but there are a few guys with the 50's that usually come to the buffalo blastfests.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Black Powder rifles barely kick even the 54. Cals I shot kick about like a 30-30.

Black powder rifles barely kick????
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Winchester Apex 50 cal smokepole, when loaded with 3 50 grain pellets it kicks a little. Not sure whih kicks worse, my 835 Mossberg turkey gun in 31/2 mag or the Apex fully loaded. I know the Barret didn't kick as hard as those 31/2 mag 12ga turkey loads.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
not accurate?

Compared to many 50's (particularly bolt actions), the M82A1 is not an accurate weapon.  There's just too many moving parts (including the barrel!).  The M82 is primarily used against hard targets, IIRC.

The world record long distance shot is held by a Canadian sniper team using a McBros rifle (bolt action).  Range was ~2400yds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#27]
i heard of that record...its finally verified? did they ever track the person down?
how are the barrett m95 or m99 compared to the m82?
are they as brutal as that match custom 50 bolt that I shot?
I am really digging the 50 cals but a barrett m82 is a huge chunk of change and
barrett has a special on the m99s and I have to look into the m95 bullpup.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i heard of that record...its finally verified? did they ever track the person down?
how are the barrett m95 or m99 compared to the m82?
are they as brutal as that match custom 50 bolt that I shot?
I am really digging the 50 cals but a barrett m82 is a huge chunk of change and
barrett has a special on the m99s and I have to look into the m95 bullpup.

I have a 99, awesome to shoot. Although I have never fired an 82, I have a couple of friends who have, and their first complaint is the lack of accuracy, due to the design. According to them, they're fun as hell to shoot, accordingly expensive to shoot, and somewhat inaccurate when compared to a bolt gun. (Both guys own Serbus).

I couldnt imagine owning an 82, I'd wind up putting so much ammo thru it I'd be be poor.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

www.snipercountry.com/Articles/KillingShot_2430Metres.asp
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I used to have one, but sold it.  I kinda miss it but it didnt get much range time.  I did always let people try it who wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]

I have a 99, awesome to shoot.

is the recoil brutal with the 99?
I know that bolt match 50 that I shot was quite insanely brutal
you go blind, it hurts the shoulder,
the M82 i didnt think was that bad at all
shot entire mags failry quickly too
and caved in part of the berm
I guess I cant say too much of its accuracy as I was only shooting
about 225 yards at clay pigeons and milk jugs with an equally nice and expensive
scope
maybe I should just go with a blaser lrs
now that was a sickeneing accurate rifle in 308
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#32]
So did they get you to spot for them, sitting next to them so that you got a face full of dust from the break?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have a 99, awesome to shoot.

is the recoil brutal with the 99?
I know that bolt match 50 that I shot was quite insanely brutal
you go blind, it hurts the shoulder,
the M82 i didnt think was that bad at all
shot entire mags failry quickly too
and caved in part of the berm
I guess I cant say too much of its accuracy as I was only shooting
about 225 yards at clay pigeons and milk jugs with an equally nice and expensive
scope
maybe I should just go with a blaser lrs
now that was a sickeneing accurate rifle in 308

I have yet to fire a 50 that was "brutal".

I've had the pleasure of firing an UltraMag 50 with an 18 inch barrel, weiging about 20 pounds. The recoil on that was'nt bad, and I'm an admitted recoil pussy.

The design of today's muzzle brakes makes any 50 a breeze to shoot, you just have to accomodate as you know the rifle is going to move, so scope clearance is important.

The best way to describe the recoil (for those that have not yet fired one) is a good shove, as opposed to a "kick". Being the recoil puss that I am, I hate firing my Remmy Model 7 in .308, but love the 50.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top