Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 6:02:42 PM EDT
What would be the necessary upgrades that I should perform to a new ar15 (bushmaster).  I wanted to know if there is anything specifically that would enhance performance, fix any known issues, etc... Thanks...
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
First mod i made was replacing the grip with one that tickled my pickle.  Ended up with a Hogue ambi grip.

I think it makes a world of difference, even if some people prefer the standard grip.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, I dont like the standard grip.  I too put on a hogue.  Other than that, my ar is stock and it shoots great.hug.gif
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tune-up the shooter before tuning up the weapon:

Get some quality training.

Once your abilities exceed the rifle, then go ahead and trick it out.

Look at it this way:

If you invest in some good training, your abilities will not depend upon whatever rifle you happen to have in your hand. Having training is a universal thing, it goes with you everywhere......
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Good advice and besides when you go to one of those places,theres some good ones,youll see what others have and you will get top see and maybe even shoot other guys weapons so you can see the gadgets for yourself,you will walk away with better weapons handling,experience and be able to save money on not  buying things you wont use because you will alraedy have that knowledge through your experience...priceless..in a way a course of traing will save you money in the long run and give you a good working knowledge and experience with the weapons that you carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
PISTON UPPER. ....
HK or LMT or KKL. Dosent matter which one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Best money I've spent was on a RRA (Rock River Arms) NM Trigger.

You can always shoot better with a good trigger.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]
agree with coyote3
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My only upgrade would be to get a 20" govt profile, that Hbar is too heavy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tune-up the shooter before tuning up the weapon:

Get some quality training.

Once your abilities exceed the rifle, then go ahead and trick it out.

Look at it this way:

If you invest in some good training, your abilities will not depend upon whatever rifle you happen to have in your hand. Having training is a universal thing, it goes with you everywhere......

Do this, but first, get a hogue grip and a gapper.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Best money I've spent was on a RRA (Rock River Arms) NM Trigger.

www.ar15sales.com/petear/2stage.gif

You can always shoot better with a good trigger.

Is that thee "Drop in" model sold through brownells? Can it be easily tuned? was it much more difficult to put in in comparison to the standard trigger assembly?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#12]
What Troy said.

Mags, either USGI 30's or if you can't find those, SA-80 mags from CMMGinc.com.  These come with chrome silicon springs and green followers tossed in.  Install the springs and followers CMMG gives you and toss the ones that came in the mags.  These mags are identical in shape to USGI 30's, but are made of steel instead of aluminum.  They function perfectly and fall free for me.  I would buy at LEAST 8-10 mags per rifle.  

A plain old ordinary GI cleaning kit, if one does not come with your rifle.

A tiny bottle of BreakFree to keep in your buttstock along with the cleaning kit, just for a rainy day.  And a 4 oz bottle (not spray can, the little black plastic bottle) of BreakFree for general cleaning and lubricating.

You can later acquire these spare parts:

Extractor, extr spring & pin, gas rings (either sets of 3 or the one piece McFarland type) get several sets, spare trigger and hammer springs and pins.  Perhaps a spare hammer and trigger, and a couple of disconnectors and springs.  A spare cam pin, firing pin, and several firing pin retainers ("hairpin").

These parts would cover 99.5% of all the parts you would ever need, and probably not need them because you have them.

A mag pouch.  I like the ones sold by www.galatiinternational.com, part number GLMP30.  No Alice gear needed, and each mag is in it's own pocket, so they don't rattle around.  $20 ea.

I buy and shoot only ammo made in the USA, Israel (Israeli Military Industries from Hansen or others), or South Africa ("battle packs").  Read that previous sentence again.  Saves listing all the brands.  55 gr FMJ (M193) is fine, and I see no need to stock up on the much more expensive M855 ("green tip" 62 gr penetrator).

KISS   "Keep it simple, Stupid!"

The only gadget I have bought that really improved my shooting is the Eotech holographic sight.  I like them so much, I have three of them now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Where can I find the USGI or SA-80 mags for a good price?  I looked at the site suggested, however they do not take internet orders.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
trigger

for mags try AMMOMAN
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top