Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 10:13:35 PM EDT
I'm getting my Post September kit together and I'm trying to collect the parts needed to make my rifles evil. After a lot of searching, and calling bushmaster I came to the conclusion that I can't change the front sight post to a preban because no one makes one for a pencil barrel.

So I was wondering what you guys thought about his idea.

Buy another front sight with lug and cut the lug off, then simply weld it to my existing sight post. After welded file it down and refinish.

Sound like a good Idea??

JErad
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
BushMaster sells the superlite barrel in preban and postban. They should have them avail but if they do not I would think a Colt pencil barrel site base should work. Here is a link for some on the EE.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=207322
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Man I would like to think it would work but bushmaster told me that they didn't make a lug for it, but then again if I believed them I wouldn't be asking here

Thanks
JErad
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, that's what you need.  A FSB for an M16A1.  The hole should be .625 diameter, same as the Bushy LW barrel.  Course, you realize that if you want to mount a bayonet, you'll have to buy one with a longer handgrip.  They make special ones for carbines with bayo lugs.  Naturally, it goes without saying that you'll need a flash suppressor of the correct diameter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Does it really matter as you can't use a bayonet with the 16" barrel anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Sell postban barrel.
Buy preban Bushy superlight.
Chop it to 14.5".
Permanently attach Phantom or Vortex.

Serve with bayonet and ammo.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sell postban barrel.
Buy preban Bushy superlight.
Chop it to 14.5".
Permanently attach Phantom or Vortex.

Serve with bayonet and ammo.  Enjoy!

Good Advice!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Having bayonet lug on my 16 rifle is not that important, but it's something that makes a REAL Ar and not a neutered rifle. As for selling the barrel and buying a new one, well I'm in college and I don't have a lot of money lying around so I was looking for the most inexpensive way to get it done.

Thanks for the advice
Jerad
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Model 1 sales has a preban pencil barrel.

I have one but I trimmed the bayolug off it and put a cut down muzzle comp on it because I wanted it as light as possible, even on my preban lower.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
You might also want to check with John Norrell. It is my understanding he welds bayonet lugs onto FSBs
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does it really matter as you can't use a bayonet with the 16" barrel anyway.

Sure you can.  Here's mine on a 16" (of course it's a modified bayonet, but one can also get a bayo lug collar for standard 16" barrels as well then use a standard bayonet)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top