Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2004 12:57:30 PM EDT
Hi everyone, will a suppressor on an AR-15 let you shoot without hearing protection?

I would be interested in a snap-on type suppressor for an AR-15.  I plan on getting one after September so legalities shouldn't be an issue.

My priorities for the suppressor are:
Durability - I want it to last and last.
A new style quick attach mount.
Reasonable price - I would pay more for extra durability, but don't really care about absolute sound suppresson.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll do better in the m16/full-auto forum:

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=14
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered an SRT Hurricane .223 suppressor last night from SRT ARMS. In a recent test printed in "Special Weapons For Military & Police", the Hurricane produced a 33 dB reduction. According to the article, it was later increased to between 35 and 36 dB after improvements were made.

From SRT's website: "For reference, a 34 db reduction makes the AR-15/M-16 , sound like a .22 rimfire rifle firing CB long ammunition as observed by a bystander 10 feet to the side of the gun."
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I just read the FAQ, and some manufacturers information on obtaining persmission to own a suppressor.....Had a question:

Anyone have any tips for getting a local law enforcement official to sign the form ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
get em drunk , take pictures
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just read the FAQ, and some manufacturers information on obtaining persmission to own a suppressor.....Had a question:

Anyone have any tips for getting a local law enforcement official to sign the form ?

Are you willing to perform fellatio?

Seriously, it's almost that bad.  Your best bet for finding about local LE is to contact your local Class III dealer (look up your zip on Gunbroker's FFL Network, then search for "class iii" or "class 3").  They (often) do this for a living and will know what local LE is like.  My experience is that your CLEO will have some policy on the matter.  He will do it without much fuss, or you are screwed.  A few members have been in situations where they were able to change the CLEO's mind.  You will run into all kinds of LE.  Some will sign for MGs but not cans or vica versa.

I'm lucky because in NM the state police are under mandate from the Governor to sign off.  No questions, no BS with local LE.  Much better than OH, where I had to form a corp to buy a can.  {Local Police Chief wouldn't sign unless he "knew" ($$$) you, and Sheriff would sign for MGs but not cans }
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They either sign or they don't, and it is well-known who does and doesn't. Where do you live?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top