Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 12:42:01 PM EDT
I have a chance to pick up a pre-ban Olympic Arms AR15 with the SGW stopsign markings, A2 setup, with non-removable carrying handle, a Wilson H-bar 20" pre-ban barrel (new in 2003) w/ bayo lug, other than that it is original. low round count.

What is the general opinion of this rifle? Help a newbie out.

-D
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
How much????
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about the multiple posts. he
-D
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What is a reasonable price then?

-D
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is a reasonable price then?

-D

800-900 would be reasonable IMO.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Free would be too much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
markm, What did Oly do to you?  Why do you hate them?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Years of reading complaints on this sight.  And watching so many uninformed blindly buy their junk.

Actually in the last year the Major malfunction complaints have dropped off quite a bit.   The most recent is the guy who had his preban "remade" or whatever they do at oly.  His lower was the typical junk oly is known for.  (misaligned holes, etc.)  The poor bastard sent in a preban lower and now he has nothing but a useless paperweight.

People often praise Oly for having a great return policy and warantee and all this shit.  But I say BULLSHIT.  They should build it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Years of reading complaints on this sight.  And watching so many uninformed blindly buy their junk.

Actually in the last year the Major malfunction complaints have dropped off quite a bit.   The most recent is the guy who had his preban "remade" or whatever they do at oly.  His lower was the typical junk oly is known for.  (misaligned holes, etc.)  The poor bastard sent in a preban lower and now he has nothing but a useless paperweight.

People often praise Oly for having a great return policy and warantee and all this shit.  But I say BULLSHIT.  They should build it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

People with problems tend to voice their opinions much more often than those of us with NO complaints.  The ones who feel they have been wronged also seem to track the negatives, while totally discounting ALL the positives.

It's human nature.

My two preban Oly lowers have been very good to me.  The one I kept loves the new LMT upper.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They should build it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

I don't know of any manufacture from fine autos to condoms that have a perfect record. IMHO
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't know of any manufacture from fine autos to condoms that have a perfect record. IMHO

Anyone who has ever owned an AMERICAN made car can relate to that.  But at least the doors will shut and the windows will roll up when you get it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had 6 pre-ban Olys, still have 3, I've never had any problems with any of them!

2 were complete factory guns, the other 4 I built with other uppers & barrels, only because of more choices!

I've also had a Colt SP1 & Bushy, no problems either, just sold them because people were willing to pay more for them cause of their names!

I know, opinions & assholes, everybody has one!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]

But at least the doors will shut and the windows will roll up when you get it.

Glad my Oly's don't have either...that keeps me from having that problem.

Anyway, I've had good success with both pre-and post-ban Oly products...I've been fortunate, though...no problems with Colts or DPMS or Bushy, either.  So, my limited Oly experience has been just as good as that with the "better names", yet cheaper.

In any case, I think that $1100 may be a little spendy for a Franken-rifle, preban or not.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I would say that is too much.  I would get a Bushy if I were you, maybe a Colt.

Do remember that this on going battle of who makes the best AR truly revolves around if you own that rifle or not.  Just my little useless opinion.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm only taking an objective look at what I've read here from other members.   If the troll symbols are for me, then boo hoo.  I've been called much worse by people who have actually contributed to this site.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want to spend that much money on a lower tier AR, go ahead. But I think the general consensus is your're paying too much. Can ya wait a few more months?

Oh, and Markm's a certified Colt snob, anything less is well, less..... not that it clouds his judgment or anything.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Mine was built right the first time. specs were fine, gun ran fine. I took the option of having a Brand New lower made for me, which NO OTHER Mfg. will do. ( Bushmaster did reannodize my pre ban BM lower for me.. yes THEY did it.. took a few emails and some sweet talkin') I now have a brand new preban Oly. which was my intention. If the ban goes away, and it looks like it will, fine. I have what I originally wanted..

I have zero problems with the new lower, and none with the old. It was just tired. I had it done long before the ban was looking like it will be defeated, and I was planning on it continuing,  so I had it remade.

John
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Should be around $800-$999 with the upper.....not a top tier brand, but not a Hesse either.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Update,

I ended up getting a nice post pan Bushy insted. It was a better deal and came with more accessories too.

-D
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Once again I ask: Has anybody every seen a POSITIVE or even NEUTRAL post by MARKM?
I think he just likes to get everybody riled up, I can't believe anybody is really that negative.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top