Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2004 11:26:13 AM EDT
Please fill me in on the advantages of the cowitnessed aimpoint, eotech, etc... On the surface it seems like the goal is to put a dot on the front post.  However, don't you have to look throught the regular peeps to do this?  is this better than having a tritium fron sight post?

I do understand how the target aquisition is faster when using only the electronic sight, but not using the peeps plus a cowitnessed electronic dot.

I am sure there is a reason I havent thought of.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Co-witnessing is in case your optics go down. ie. dead batteries or just broken.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an EOTech mounted along with cowitnessed BUIS.  My BUIS stay folded down out of the way, and are there in case my batteries run dead.  I use the EOTech most of the time for close up and personal work (ie out to 50 yards).  For those long shots I will flip the BUIS up and have at it.

Works for me,
MadDog hippie.gif
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Please fill me in on the advantages of the cowitnessed aimpoint, eotech, etc...

1) Easy the check your zero (make sure its still good) before you head out.

2) If the Battereis die you can swith to irons and have the same trajectory (so you don't have to learn 2 different bullet paths).

On the surface it seems like the goal is to put a dot on the front post.  However, don't you have to look throught the regular peeps to do this?  

The dot just happens to align with the front sight post IF you are looking through the iron sights.  Normally you look over the irons sights (if you have fixed sights) or the irons are folded down and out of the way.

A tritium front sight post just allows you to use the sights in lower light than standard irons.  You still have to look through the rear peep sight and have to deal with sight alignment issues.

If you have an electronic sight you just use that then all you have to worry about is the target - but dot on target and fire.  Very quick and easy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, cowitnessing is the red dot sitting on the front sight post.  The back iron is folded out of the way.

I see how this is faster, and the advantages of knowing it is still sighted in by its relativity to the front sight post.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, cowitnessing is the red dot sitting on the front sight post.

You will only see that IF you look through the iron sights when the red-dot is on.  In that case the front sight should bisect the dot.

Otherwise the dot has NO relation to the front sight.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top