Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2004 7:40:14 AM EDT
I have a Colt A3 CAR, Colt Accurized Rifle (CR6724) I traded for the Rifle and it came with a Scope base that attaches to the flat top, with the rings built on the base. The base and rings are marked Colt, made by B-squar. I am trying to mount a 4.5 X 14 X44mm Leupole scope and fine the scope is to fare to the rear when the base is mounted with the two screws on the left side, and the scope is to far forward when the base is monted with the screws on the right side (ejector side) of the flat top.  What do you feel is the best type or make of rings to mount this type of scope? I though about Leupold M 4 rings, but not sure what height rings would be the best. any sujustions??
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a CR6724 with the Colt/B-Square mount. While that mount works for some, its range is rather limited. It sounds like the tube on your Leupold is too short to allow you to utilize this mount.

People with average/normal physical characteristics usually need a scope mounting system that provides about 1.4" of height from the top of the flattop surface to the centerline of the scope tube. I use and highly recommend the Badger Ultra-High rings for my flattops that don't use any kind of rail system. They are the perfect height and probably the highest quality ring on the market (IMHO). Using a pair of rings that are not part of an intergral base (like the B-Square) will allow you to use the entire mounting range of your flattop .

If you go this route you'll have to use their 30mm to 1" adaptors because (I believe) that your 4.5x14 Leuopold has a 1" tube diameter. What I've recommended is not the least expensive way to go, but it's one of the best!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information on this scope ring. I will look at this set up and probably sell the B-square at the next gun show.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I too have a CR6724, although I have replaced my Colt B-Square mount with a MAMBA from Mid-South Shooters Supply. This mount has 25MOA built into it and comes ready to mount, in that the rings are already "trued" and have divots so ya don't get the front and rear mixed up.

THe old B-Square worked fine for my Leupold Vari-X III 4.5x14x40mm Tactical , but I had it shimmed 40 thousandths in order to reach the 1000 yard line and beyond and it was a pain when I removed it getting things back correctly.

The Mamba is a serious mount, machined from T6 solid bar stock and if purchased in the 1.3" version sets perfect on my flat-top.

See it here: www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000331WAR2513, costs $140.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Mike, I will look at this Mount.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the ARMS #22 high, I have them on both an AR and a Remy 700.  Despite the warning and lecturing by different instructors, I have never lost zero on either rifle through repeated mounting and dismounting.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top