Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 10:16:48 PM EDT
Does that model have the Gov. profile barrel?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's an HBAR, mine was.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Mines an H-bar, and they do mean heavy.
Colt 6601 come with a threaded muzzle, and no bayonet lug.

-Steve
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Is that barrel chrome lined?

Ed
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mines an H-bar, and they do mean heavy.
Colt 6601 come with a threaded muzzle, and no bayonet lug.

-Steve

and the barrel is chorme lined.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#5]
We carried Colt MT6601C's at work for awhile.  It is a match target HBAR (weighs about a ton and a half).  We had guys shooting the Compensators off of them, so we sent them all in to the armorer to have the roll pins replaced with solid pins.  This didn't work well so the removed the comps.  Looked like hell as you could see where the barrels had been channelled for the pins.

Next thing the polymer coated buffers started cracking, so now we have sent them all back to Colt for a one for one swap on new AR6520 Government models with the lightweight (thank goodness) 16 inch barrel and a four position collaspible stock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Colt 6601 come with a threaded muzzle...
-Steve

How can they do that w/o violating the 94 ban?

OK, so the 6601/6601C is fully HBAR and the barrel and chamber is chrome lined?

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#7]
10-4
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Steve

law enforcement or govt use only. the evil options only apply to us "common" folks

but he did mention the roll pins. so for civilian ownership a muzzle brake can be pinned in place for it to be post ban compliant. the threaded barrel is apparently what violates one of the options not so mauch as the flash comp
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Steve

law enforcement or govt use only. the evil options only apply to us "common" folks

Don't forget export,i live in the Netherlands and a have one.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#10]
i did not know that sir!

yup that was one i forgot. export.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I just answered this over on the Colt Industry forum
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#12]
The R6601 had a threaded muzzle (but no bayonet lug) and was pre-ban.

The MT6601 came with a plain muzzle, no lug, and is post-ban.

The MT6601C is the one with the pinned on compensator. That's the 'C' part of its designation.

I have an MT6601 and is doesn't have a chrome-lined barrel! Bought it NIB from an authorized dealer.

If you want a Colt 20" A2 with a Gov't. profile barrel you would need a 6551 series rifle, but I believe that they're no longer in production. I have an MT6551 and it DOES have a chrome lined barrel. Also NIB from dealer.

AFAIK the situation with Colt's and chrome or non-chrome barrels is very sketchy and in some models you never know for sure until you examine them yourself. And you can't rely on the chrome lined barrels to be stamped to designate that any longer. Just look at the MT6400 series as an example!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

and thanks for doing so!  I put this one here last night right after I posted in the Colt forum cause there's usually a quicker response time.

Will SAW sales trim the barrel down to a Gov profile and apply a factory finish?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#14]

but he did mention the roll pins. so for civilian ownership a muzzle brake can be pinned in place for it to be post ban compliant. the threaded barrel is apparently what violates one of the options not so mauch as the flash comp
Simple roll pins isn't enough for civilian muzzle brakes if the barrel is threaded.  On an LEO it wouldn't matter.  I think he meant that they tried to hold the comps on with roll pins instead of threads.  I suppose that would be legal on a civilian gun, but as he said doesn't hold up.  If those were LEO guns, I don't see why they wouldn't thread the comps on like they would for a FS.  But then most of what Colt does doesn't make much sense.

My 6601 is an HBAR with chrome chamber, but not bore.  Plain muzzle.  No bayonet lug.  It's post-ban, maybe '98 vintage?  (I got it used.)

I think there were several different "6601" models over the years, with different prefixes.  Mine I think is an MT6601.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine's a Pre-ban. No Government thug here.
Colt Sporter Match HBAR
CAL .223
SER. MH0496xx

Barrel marked
C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR

Came with a standard A2 birdcage flash suppressor. No baonet lug. A2 Stock
Uses large pins, and has a sear block.
A2 upper.

-Steve
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We carried Colt MT6601C's at work for awhile.  It is a match target HBAR (weighs about a ton and a half).  We had guys shooting the Compensators off of them, so we sent them all in to the armorer to have the roll pins replaced with solid pins.  This didn't work well so the removed the comps.  Looked like hell as you could see where the barrels had been channelled for the pins.

Next thing the polymer coated buffers started cracking, so now we have sent them all back to Colt for a one for one swap on new AR6520 Government models with the lightweight (thank goodness) 16 inch barrel and a four position collaspible stock.

I don't believe it!
It's a Colt - Imposable!
Are you sure they weren't <insert any other brand name here>???

LOL!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe it!
It's a Colt - Imposable!
Are you sure they weren't <insert any other brand name here>???

LOL!

~ s0ulzer0

If it isn't a Colt, it's a copy!

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and thanks for doing so!  I put this one here last night right after I posted in the Colt forum cause there's usually a quicker response time.

Will SAW sales trim the barrel down to a Gov profile and apply a factory finish?

I'm not sure if Ken offers this type of shop service but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask Tina if it can be done.  If they can't do it I'm sure someone like Steve @ ADCO will.  Are you thinking about buying a complete post-ban or just the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Are you thinking about buying a complete post-ban or just the barrel?

I would prefer to buy a complete rifle.  I want a Colt 20" chromed, Gov profile 5.56 chambered rifle with a flattop/removable carry handle.  Unfortunately they dont offer that in a complete package.  I'm finding out as of today that I'm going to have to build one or order a Bushmaster built to my spec's.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
You won't find that configuration in a Colt...the only Colt model with a chrome-lined bore is the 6400.  You can order a chrome-lined, gov't profile from Bushmaster and ask them to build a complete rifle for you.  Or, you could build one like I did using a 1:7 twist, gov't profile, chrome-lined Colt barrel that I bought of the EE.  It may just be easier to call Bushmaster and have them built you one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mine's a Pre-ban. No Government thug here.
Colt Sporter Match HBAR
CAL .223
SER. MH0496xx

Barrel marked
C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR

Came with a standard A2 birdcage flash suppressor. No baonet lug. A2 Stock
Uses large pins, and has a sear block.
A2 upper.

-Steve

I carry an AR at work, but I don't think that makes me a "...Government thug..."  I, also have a pre-ban and a post ban at home.  Just a county mountie, bro . . . not everything you hear is a black helicopter
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
TKO,
It was tongue in cheek to willyj's "Common folk" comment.
I'm actually on the short list to become a Government thug myself.
-Steve
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top