Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2004 9:59:57 AM EDT
That is the question.  You folks on this site have convinced me that putting together my own AR-15 would be a fun and interesting task.  I believe you.  But I am wondering whether a muzzle brake is really a useful/practical item to have on the barrel.  I've read some of the pros (less muzzle climb) and cons (very loud).  But I'd like to get some of the opinions from the user community.  What's your opinion?

This is my first AR-15 since I sold my SP1 back in '88.  (Yeah, I know.  Very stupid.)  This first one (yup, you read that right) is to be a practical piece.  Sort of a all-around rifle until I can afford to specialize a bit more.

So, do I spring for the brake or not?  All opinions appreciated.
Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#1]
No Brake.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... is to be a practical piece.  Sort of a all-around rifle ...

No brake, but add a flash hider in Sept.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
There's never been that much difference to me in the muzzle climb between my Bushy Shorty AK muzzle break and a V-match that I traded for it later.

I've put the SOG Armory fake flash suppressor on it just for the cool factor though.  Come Sept. 14th I'm be threading the barrel and getting the Smith Vortex for it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#4]
TO MUZZLE BRAKE OR NOT TO MUZZLE BRAKE
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Order a threaded barrel. Install a cheap brake (e.g. CavComp) and pin it in place. Don't weld. Come Sept, drill out the pin and slap on a flash hider. Have a beer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]
No break, unless you are just going for "cool look" factor. Otherwise, it's useless metal.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No break, unless you are just going for "cool look" factor. Otherwise, it's useless metal.

I hate these kinds of over-simplistic replies... the utility of a brake depends on your application. Good for fast shooting/3-gun/IPSC. Bad for super-accurate shooting. Unclear for tactical use.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate these kinds of over-simplistic replies... the utility of a brake depends on your application. Good for fast shooting/3-gun/IPSC. Bad for super-accurate shooting. Unclear for tactical use.

Sorry, I gotta partially disagree.  TRAINING will do much more for muzzle/recoil control than a brake on a 5.56 rifle.  Heck, there isn't a lot of recoil to control.  Just my opinion.  YMMV.

I vote no on all AR brakes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I gotta partially disagree.  TRAINING will do much more for muzzle/recoil control than a brake on a 5.56 rifle.  Heck, there isn't a lot of recoil to control.  Just my opinion.  YMMV.

I vote no on all AR brakes.

The equation may change when the fearsome recoil of the 6.8 comes into play.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
SinistralRifleman, interesting distinction between brake and comp.  Very good points!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good answer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad you posted this cause I have the same question, but from what I have heard, NO BRAKE, wait to Sep and get it threaded then put a flash hider on.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm glad you posted this cause I have the same question, but from what I have heard, NO BRAKE, wait to Sep and get it threaded then put a flash hider on.

If you must have a barrel before Sept., yes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top