Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2004 7:55:21 PM EDT
I'm thinking of putting some WOLF ammo through my Olympic Arms Carbine.  i've put Federal and some of the South african stuff through it and its done beautifully.  Thought i'd try something different.

Anyone have any experience with this ammo, and or this ammo/rifle combination

For those who have fought for it freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the older stuff that was laquer coate with no problems and now its polymer coated so its even smoother,My rifles are Bushmaster and it feeds fine in all my ARs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that Olympic states that use of Wolf ammo (or any other steel cased laquer coated ammo) voids their warranty.  They mention Wolf specifically.  They state they have had alot of barrels come back to them with the chambers gummed up bayond use with laquer.  Olympic uses barrels with minimum spec 5.56 NATO chambers, so this does not lend itself to increased reliability with such ammo - though it does lend itself to accuracy.  

That having been said, the few boxes I have put through my Olympic went off without any problems at all.  Whether or not the cost savings of using Wolf are worth the risks (real or imagined) is going to have to be up to you - it's your rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Deleted: Dupe post.  Computers acting goofy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I've shot at least 1K rounds of the old Wolf in my PCR-5 with one stuck shell that was easily tapped out with the cleaning rod I carry to the range.  Just started on my second case and this is the old laquered stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Voids the warranty,not worth it ,IMHO.I have an Oly Car97-M-4. I use Federal M-193,Flawlessly.

My 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If Olympic is stating that wolf will foul the barrel of their rifles to the point that simple cleaning cannot correct the problem, then they are building defective rifles.  I've shot thousands of rounds of wolf through both chrome and non chrome barrels, never have I experienced a stuck case accross multiple brands of ARs.  I cannot understand how a maker as prolific as Olympic could not make their rifles to run any and all commercial .223 on the market.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not a real big fan of Wolf and have never shot it, however, I have ran a 500-rd half-case of Barnaul 62-gr BTHP (about the best Russian stuff available, I suppose) through my Oly CAR97-M4. I didn't experience any malfunctions, but I did notice that the recoil felt waaay less than any other .223/556 ammo that I've tried. Actually I was quite surprised that it did function with it due to being so underpowered, considering what ammo ARs were designed to operate with.

FWIW, after shooting I always clean the chamber out with a chamber brush and solvent attached to a drill, this is regardless of which ammo I use.

Edited to add that IIRC, using this ammo does not automatically void your warranty. It's actual damage caused by the ammo that voids the warranty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an Oly stainless 20" HBAR that didn't like wolf.  After a few rounds it woulden't extract and I'd have to rod the brass out.   Run a few rounds and see what happens, but have a rod ready.  Since then I haven't run wolf in any of my Olys or my Colt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#10]
You have an OLYMPIC arms.  Thus, you've got nothing to lose by shooting junkie ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You have an OLYMPIC arms.  Thus, you've got nothing to lose by shooting junkie ammo.

Damn that's just wrong...but funny as hell!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top