Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2004 7:29:30 PM EDT
What are they?  Im assuming that they have something to do with ammo feeding.  also are they on all other ar-15s or just m-4 specific?  why are they needed for the M-4?
Thank you in advance
Remman

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Feed ramps are cuts in the upper reciever to help feed SP and HP ammo into the chamber.  Right now, IIRC, only Colt's 6400C and all LMT uppers offer them as standard.  As to if they are NEEDED or not, that is really up to you in the end.

There is a famous pic somewhere but I do not have it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the famous pic.  Left side is normal ramps.  On the right side is the M4 Extended ramps.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Do the M4 feed ramps really improve reliability?  If so, is there some reason the M4 needs it and the M16A1/A2/A4 doesn't?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a new Colt 6731 match target HBAR II, and it has the M4 feedramps as well as Ras numbered upper and M4 stamped at the front of the upper.  Possibly standard for all Flat-top Colts now?

Just trying to be of use!
heekma45
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
They help reduce feeding problems when operating in FULL AUTO.  Not needed for semi auto applications.  They won't hurt semi auto ops, just not necessary.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Feed ramps are to reduce the possibility of "set-back" in FA fire mode, especially in the faster cycling 14.5" M4 rifles.

They are also quite helpful for those of us that prefer shooting the Winchester 64 grn. Power Point and Power Point PLus rounds, as well as other "lead-nosed" rounds. The ramps help with cycling and again reduce the possibility of set-back as well as keep the lead nose from catching upon entry and causing a FTF malfunction.

They are NOT a necessity, just a bit of added piece of mind for those of us that reload and shoot "non-crimped" and other specialty bullets.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd also like to add that the extended feed ramps also make the carbine/rifle more forgiving to magazines that are not operating at 100%.  I think there is at least one thread I read on magazine forum where certain mags would just fine on a carbine with the feed ramps but the same mags wouldn't work reliably on a carbine without the feed ramps.

It may not be a necessary feature but it's definitely a product improvement and if I were getting a new upper today I would definitely want the extended feed ramps.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#8]
My experience over the years has been that failures to feed due to rounds stubbing in between the receiver extension and the receiver are the most common malfunction I have had.  Prior to the M4 feed ramp I used to send my barrels to TANKS RIFLE SHOP for a ramp job.  TANKS would ramp the barrel enough to eliminate this malfunction.  TANKS did not modify the receiver at all.  I understand that TANKS still offers this service, and have heard the Ken Elmore also does this work.

BTW, were not green followers developed to address this same malfunction?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BTW, were not green followers developed to address this same malfunction?

The green followers were made to address the tilting that sometimes occured with black followers.  I also prefer the green followers in all my mags.  I like to cheat and stack the odds in my favor as much as possible so I'll take the extended feed ramps, green followers and extra power extractor springs too!  

Soon I'll probably pony up the cash and get a LMT enhanced bolt too...

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know what year green followers where introduced?????????
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The ramps are more forgiving if you have a habbit of holding onto the magazine while shooting from a bench. When pulling on the magazine, some tend to tip the mag forward, and give a different feeding geometry. Plastic mags suffer from this bigtime.
Chambering bigger grain bullets is eased as well.
Unknown if the ramps would benefit feeding rounds such as 300 whisper. If I had to guess, I'd say yes.
-Steve
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here is the famous pic.  Left side is normal ramps.  On the right side is the M4 Extended ramps.

pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/3861490/48587573.jpg

Ok now that answers that question the colt ramps run up to the ranps on the barrel .

Now indulge me I have never had a barrel and reciver apart.  The barrel includes everything in the larger circle ( not the smaller recessed circle in the pic) I.E. the locking teeth are the barrel not the reciver?

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The "locking teeth" (lugs) are part of the barrel extension, not part of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The "locking teeth" (lugs) are part of the barrel extension, not part of the receiver.

So is the extension(lugs and I assume chamber beyond actually part of the barrel?   Can you switch extensions?

The barrel on the left in the pic looks like the extesion and I assube chamber is not Chrome but the Barrel does look Chrome ith that correct?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top