Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2004 8:43:50 PM EDT
Exactly how water resistent are ARs?

Any tests done?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I wondered a similar question when I read that my EoTech was water resistant up to 33 feet....
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that is DOWN to 33 feet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you think you could load an AR and fully submerge it and it would still fire if the rounds were water proof if that is such a thing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Fully submerged the rifle may fire if the water resistance didnt slow down the hammer enough to cause a light fireing pin strike.  At that point the rifle would promptly blow up from the rise in pressure caused by the water in the barrel.  Wouldn't be pretty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Fully submerged the rifle may fire if the water resistance didnt slow down the hammer enough to cause a light fireing pin strike.  At that point the rifle would promptly blow up from the rise in pressure caused by the water in the barrel.  Wouldn't be pretty.

Do you have a factual reference for the kaboom?  I'm not challenging, but want to add it to my own archives.  Handguns have no problem firing underwater in general, though some pistols may no cycle properly but no problem with the pressure in the barrels.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The AR is not designed to be fired under water.

It is however designed to be submerged and then taken out of the water and still be employed. BUT FIRST, you should pull the charging handle to the rear and remove all the water that may be in the buffer, and at the same time tilt the barrel forward. That little hole in the end of the buffer and buttstock screw are for just this purpose. That is also why you didn't see many military types with butt pads on their tele stocks (Back on the older 4 position stocks) because it had a tendency to keep the water in the buffer tube.

Sorry, but all the hollywood pictures of guys jumping up and firing their weapons at the same time is just not realistic.

MASTER BLASTER

Join Army Special Forces! Ask me how.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do you have a factual reference for the kaboom?  I'm not challenging, but want to add it to my own archives.  Handguns have no problem firing underwater in general, though some pistols may no cycle properly but no problem with the pressure in the barrels.

www.loadammo.com/Topics/May02.htm

Im not the least bit interested in testing the theory...but then again my environment doesnt really create the need.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

most handguns aren't gas operated last I checked
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Done quite a bit of swimming with ARs in the service (down to about 40').  Never fired one underwater.  Would have muzzle cap on muzzle to keep debris out and a liberal dose of CLP.  Upon surfacing or exiting the water would remove cap, dump water and work the action a few times.   Never immediately fired the weapon and cleaned it as soon as the tacitcal situation allowed.  

CD
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
So, ARs can be fully submerged then taken out of the water then fired?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I know you see these pics of Navy seals come creeping out of the water (probably the persian gulf) with thier M16 and all the little electronic gizmos. It is probably ok, not that I would try it or call you a fool for trying it, joking. You need a harpoon gun. LOL

I know I would sure not try to shoot any gun, under water (glock or not) and I also know useing a hollow point would be catastophic,(bullet would expand in barrel)
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know you see these pics of Navy seals come creeping out of the water (probably the persian gulf) with thier M16 and all the little electronic gizmos. It is probably ok, not that I would try it or call you a fool for trying it, joking. You need a harpoon gun. LOL

I know I would sure not try to shoot any gun, under water (glock or not) and I also know useing a hollow point would be catastophic,(bullet would expand in barrel)

I think that the additional mass of the water in the barrel would prevent the bullet from accelerating to a velocity that would allow expansion of the hollow point bullet.  They don't expand if they're barely moving and that bullet would be barely moving.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Lumpy - thanks again.

jar3ds - I didn't expect it to cycle, just wondered about the barrel taking the pressure of that one shot.  BTW, good thing you said MOST handguns, because I know a few that are, including a 1911 gas gun.

After checking Lumpy's reference, it appears that an AR may take it (hope it's a bull barrel and not a superlight!).  The 1903A3 fired the 30-06 without apparent barrel damage,   It says the water in the barrel was equivalent to the powder having to move 2.5 times the normal bullet weight.

So assuming there were no air pockets, my guess is that you could fire the AR without a kaboom, but of course it would be a single shot.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if the bolt was somewhat jammed in battery very tightly, requiring a boot stomp on the CH to open it or worse.  If there was a defective part in the bolt, hidden fracture/stressed area, etc - I think you would then find out about it in short order.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I cant imagine why anyone would need to shoot underwater LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Lumpy.....

DUH!

Sharks man, sharks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#17]
From what I understand enables a hand gun to fire under water is a fluted fireing pin. The SIG 226 has this on SEAL issiue guns. I tried to fire my Springfield XD pistol under water and it acctually worked! It would cycle/fire 2 to 3 rounds and then jam.

Remember in the movie Leathel Weapon III I think with Jet Lee, Jet Lee was killed  by Mel Gibson when they were fighting under water and Mel Shot Jet with an AK-47 full auto. Probibly just Hollywood but can an AK do that?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#19]
HK designed a series a weapons to be fired underwater.  I'm not sure if they ever got past prototype/initial testing.  The Pistol was a multibarrel (similar to a 19th century pepperbox, but the barrels didn't rotate), the barrels had a muzzle seal, and the ammunition fired a tungsten dart which was front-heavy, and had flat tip (not pointed), presumably to increase the wounding at slow underwater impact velocities.  Maximum range was only 50 feet or so.  I haven't seen or heard anything about this in some years, so it's probably been scrapped.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I cant imagine why anyone would need to shoot underwater LOL hr

Aqua-zombies?

This is a great thread! Interesting stuff...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top