Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2004 10:44:00 AM EDT
Ive used both, cant decide which is best or if one is better than the other.. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have used both and can't tell the difference, I think that pretty much tells you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I use FP-10 because it smells better than Breakfree. As far as which one is actually better, I really don't know.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to use Breakfree but have switched to FP-10 almost exclusively. Yes, it does smell much better (mmmm...cinnamon ) but it also lasts longer. That is to say it stays put better and doesn't burn off as quickly as Breakfree.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
FP10 is the best of the two, we now use it exclusively, Breakfree causes too many problems.

Just my 02
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FP10 is the best of the two, we now use it exclusively, Breakfree causes too many problems.

Just my 02

Like what?  I'm using breakfree but thought about trying the FP10 when I run out.  Maybe I need to try FP10 sooner?
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks... FP10 it is.

John
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just my 02

What kind of problems are you talking about? What have you run into?
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
FP-10

Bought Break-Free at first.
After one use of FP-10 and it was clear which one was better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I second that, blueshockey.

I am new to AR's, just got my first, but the first cleaning she got bathed in FP-10.

I had been using Breakfree on my 1911's but when I tried FP-10, I found it to be a bit thicker, stays put better, excellant lubricity and makes cleaning much easier.  heckpub13.ezboard.com/bfirepowerfp10forum

---
Joe
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
FP10 turned my head a couple years ago after using BreakFree for for quite awhile. Smells better, it seems to lubricate better, stay put where ya put it and my firearms seem to functioon smoother. They just have a smoother feel to them since switching to FP-10.

Just my .02 worth,

Rick

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The main problem we had with Breakfree was its ability to gum the works up fairly quickly.  We found with FP10, that the MRBF of the weapons went up by 25% - very important to us.  

Personally, the smell of it is neither here no there, we just found that whatever environmental conditions we were in, FP10 performed.  I would agree with the above that the weapon seems to feel and function smoother with it too.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I shoot a gun lubed with FP-10, I get hungry for cinnamon toast

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Just had some...
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
We use FP10 exclusively, works best for us and we highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I read this article and it has made me a believer out of BreakFree CLP:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I had been using Breakfree since 1990.  I used it because that is what I used in the service.  It had worked well for me up until a few years ago when I started noticing (that when participating in Tactical Carbine Courses, 3 gun matches, Department training) the Breakfree would start to gum up the bolt of the AR15 and after gumming up the bolt would start to sieze.  The gumming would start between 250 to 350 rounds, and the rifle would usually be totally siezed up before I hit the 500 round mark.  In most of the traning classes I attend it is common to shoot 500 or more rounds in a day.  Having been in the Marine Corps I am pretty anal about cleaning my rifle, but when you shoot 500 rounds in a day you don't have time to stop and clean the gun, and there is no reason why the AR system can't go well beyond 500 without a cleaning, especially if all that shooting is done in one day.  I had never had problem with shooting 500 plus rounds using Breakfree in the early and mid 90's, but was told that Breakfree changed their forumla back around 2000 (give or take a year).  If I remember correctly I was told that they started adding some kind of teflon and this is what causes the Breakfree to gum up after extensvie firing.

I have since started using FP-10 and no longer have the problems with the bolt gumming up or siezing.  I would highly recommend the FP-10 over the Breakfree.

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not doubting you, but I've had a few range sessions with my Bushy that have gone toward the 900 round mark, and I've never had a problem.  But I also don't soak my bolts/carriers.  I lube them up, then pretty much wipe them down.  That could be why...

But I might have to give the FP10 a shot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#18]
also....where do you guys buy your FP10 for a decent price?
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#19]
www.fp10.com then go to "Order Options." Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#20]
FP-10 also works better at colder temperatures than BF CLP, important where I am.

Here's a good thread on the CLP Debate
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Been using CLP 12 years.Have taken many carbine courses and have shot in one sitting many times 1500 rounds or more and have never had a problem with it.Its all in how much is used and in what type of climate and conditions.The breakfree dries like a dry film lube when left over night.I dont know how it can gum up a bolt unless you are going from one lube to another with out using bore cleaner or gun scrubber before using a different lube.Go to the Miltec sight and see how break free did during the tests at Crane naval surface warfare testing facility.Teflon is real slippery and shouldnt cause anything to gum up.as far as cold the breakfree is good for -30 and I have shot in these teperatures with great results and function.No matter what is used you have to watch how much of anything you use and some times lube will react different depending on what type of cleaner is used.I use breakfree for both cleaning and lube and havent had any problems in all the time I have used it.Armalite actualy recomends the older combination of LSA and bore cleaner and LSA and FP10 is way thicker than breakfree.Also nothing protects against rust better than breakfree.I am in the process of testing the breakfree against the FP10 as a rust preventitive.I coated 2 pieces of sheet metal one CLP one FP10 I left them out for the last 2 days in drizzly weather no rust on eithr yet.The last time I did this was with miltec,the miltec coated piece showed rust spots in  2 days,the break free went 6 days and the weather was raw and rainy for 3 days and I did not expose to direct rain but it was rainy enough for the metal to catch a wet spray for the time it did rain.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Now, here's the kicker. Which FP10 do you use, Firepower FP-10 or Shooter's Choice FP-10?
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Shooters Choice FP-10 and Firepower 10 are the EXACT SAME THING! Both websites explain this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I have always been partial to Break Free CLP since the Marines, I even like the smell of it.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been using BreakFree from a small 4 oz bottle and always thought the smell wasn't too bad.  Yesterday, I bought a spray can of BreakFree  and I can hardly stand the smell of that stuff!!!

At first, I thought maybe I had purchased two diffeent BreakFree products but both are CLP and both were purchased in the last few months.  I'm definately giving FP-10 a try.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
as far as cold the breakfree is good for -30

That's too bad as it gets to -50 or father below here so BF CLP doesn't cut it.  However, FP-10 is rated to -50 and is less viscous than CLP at colder temperatures.  I also don't necessarily like the idea of leaving teflon particles in my bore should I need to clean it with CLP type product, which I don't anyways though as I use a bore solvent for that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#27]
If your lube is gumming up and siezing your bolt after a few hundred rounds, I think you might be using too much lube.  After a long range session the internal parts on my AR are dry to the touch (but they'll turn your finger black ).  I just mention this because I saw a guy at the range last time and it seemed like he had lube all over his AR15.  When the bolt was open, the entire inside was slick.  In my opinion this is way too much oil.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:09:11 AM EDT
[#28]
The best stuff I have ever found was in a small od green bottle of gi issue. I found it at a surplus store at a flee market. I have not ever seen it before but it was great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Ive used both Fp 10 and BF CLP. Ive never had ANY problems out of either. I think the FP 10 is a good lube. The BF wins hands down in the rust preventived dept. I also think most put to much lube on. Im sure Im gulity of it also. Ive never had New or OLD Break Free Gum up on me. Just my experiance with both products. I use BF alot because it can be had easyly from Wally World. I have to order FP10.. I use both. WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#30]
You ain't kiddin'! CLP in the can smells aweful and the scent carries to the rest of the house!

Quoted:
I've been using BreakFree from a small 4 oz bottle and always thought the smell wasn't too bad.  Yesterday, I bought a spray can of BreakFree  and I can hardly stand the smell of that stuff!!!hought
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#31]
On My tight fitted 1911, I can feel the difference, FP-10 is smoother.
Both protect from rust very well.
CLP/Break Free has changed it's recipe a few times over the years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Even FP-10 has changed it's formula at least once.  Shooter's Choice mix used to be the old formula.  It's the newer formula that gave FP-10 even more cold weather capability from what I understand.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either BF or FP-10 CLPs, both are awesome!  The majority will not push the envelope enough to make enough difference which one they select IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Is TW25B considered a CLP? It seems to be a top lube also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#34]
TETRA GUN OIL!!!  I've used CLP in the Marine Corp and I'll say Tetra is better!  Its more viscous (thicker), highly lubricous, and stays on for a long time (years).  Its great for all internal parts, the bore, and any high contact parts.  For rust prevention I use Remington Rem Oil in an aerosol can.  Its more economical and applicable that way.  Tetra smells like urine but its the lube of choice of the US Olympic shooting team!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top