Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2004 9:38:05 PM EDT
I am looking for a gunsmith to turn down and lighten my Bushmaster 14.5 1x9 HBAR barrel to a medium weight. Can anyone recommend someone that I can send my entire upper to have that kind of work done and how much is this going to cost me? Thanks, Stan
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the Industry Forum and check out "Kurt's Kustoms", he does this work all the time and many here have used and will vouch for his services.

Mike

added: if you check out his forum or simply e-mail him, he will reply with the cost and any details you desire.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#2]

There's also Steve at ADCO... He recently turned down my 16" HBAR to A1 profile and had it back to me in 8 days... It looks fantastic!

www.adcofirearms.com

Link Posted: 4/22/2004 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]
DarkStar,
Looks nice.  Was there a noticeable difference in weight?  You didn't happen to take before and after weights, did you?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 4:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There's also Steve at ADCO... He recently turned down my 16" HBAR to A1 profile and had it back to me in 8 days... It looks fantastic!

www.adcofirearms.com

www.hunt101.com/img/131494.jpg

It does look great. ADCO does do great work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Kirts Kustom Firearms ROCKS trust me they are really great i have sent three to him does exactly what i am looking for every time  fast and great price

MONGO
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Deltaopwong: If you decide that you do not want your upper milled down, I have a Bushmaster Superlight Upper for sale, LNIB, only 20 rounds for sight in fired.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
DarkStar,
Looks nice.  Was there a noticeable difference in weight?  You didn't happen to take before and after weights, did you?  Thanks.

I didn't think to weigh this one... it's a .610 profile and I'd guess 10 or 11 ounces lighter.  I normally like a .575 profile which is even lighter but I had a project in mind for this one and needed the .610 profile.  The real difference is in the balance, it 'feels' a lot lighter...
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help. I'm leaning towards shipping my HBAR upper/barrel to Steve/ADCO for an M4 contour job. Stan
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
cool, i was thinking about getting this done too, eventually, but not til the AWB sunsets.  Because, my plan was to get it turned down like that, then the barrel fluted.  Then the end of my barrel threaded.  Doing it all at once just to save time, and maybe money too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the average cost to have a barrel turned down?
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DarkStar,

I didn't think to weigh this one... it's a .610 profile and I'd guess 10 or 11 ounces lighter.  I normally like a .575 profile which is even lighter but I had a project in mind for this one and needed the .610 profile.  The real difference is in the balance, it 'feels' a lot lighter...

Thanks for the info.  I'm looking for the same thing in my RRA CAR, balance.  It's just too front heavy with the HBAR.  I would have sent it back to Steve sooner if I knew it could be done in 8 days!
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#12]
What do you think about this?

20" Colt HBAR w/ Wilson Combat Post-ban muzzle brake

Can that barrel be turned down like the one pictured above along with fluting forward of the front sight?
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#13]
A guesstimate would also be appreciated, as I would not mind sending it out by week's end.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#14]

You can shoot Steve at ADCO an email or post the question in his forum in the Industry section, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done just like you're wishing...
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Ah, just discovered the Industry section was also a forum. Sorry to take up space elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard that sometimes when a heavy barrel is turned down, there may be accuracy problems after it's done.  Has anyone who has had their barrels turned down from the HBAR profile experienced anything along these lines?  
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes. Mine was done professionally. Machine work is artful. Accuracy definately suffered.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
cool, i was thinking about getting this done too, eventually, but not til the AWB sunsets.  Because, my plan was to get it turned down like that, then the barrel fluted.  Then the end of my barrel threaded.  Doing it all at once just to save time, and maybe money too.

Remember, if you cut the barrel down to .510, and the bore diameter is .22, that only leaves you .145 of meat all the way around.  Not much left in there to flute.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Steve, is that my upper on that scale? What a wonderful M4 contour job you guys did on my BM HBAR. You guys rock! Stan
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've heard that sometimes when a heavy barrel is turned down, there may be accuracy problems after it's done.  Has anyone who has had their barrels turned down from the HBAR profile experienced anything along these lines?  

Quoted:
Yes. Mine was done professionally. Machine work is artful. Accuracy definately suffered.  Go figure.  

Does this only happen to used barrels?  Don't they all end up cut down (turned down) to some degree?  It does seem strange that accuracy would be changed, unless a heavy barrel is more accurate than the lightweight in general.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Kurts did my Bushmaster HBar 20in. He took nearly three months ( I'll give him some slack on this, he's a busy man) and the barrel index is AFU. It needs about 18 clicks of left windage. I'll get it corrected but I won't be sending it back to KKF.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top