Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2004 12:59:57 PM EDT
Whats the best way to apply finish to upper and lower receivers? Does parkerizing come in different colors? I saw in the picture post pages a couple of rifles with camo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
AR receivers are aluminum and anodized not parkerized.  They can be dyed any color you like after anodizing and before sealing.

You can paint after anodizing, but I'd avoid painting bare aluminum since it won't have the protective AL oxide coating.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
AR receivers are aluminum and anodized not parkerized.  They can be dyed any color you like after anodizing and before sealing.

You can paint after anodizing, but I'd avoid painting bare aluminum since it won't have the protective AL oxide coating.
View Quote

Is that so? i thought anodizing was parkerazing....or at least that's what i've read...i guess that author was wrong.
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No, anodizing is for aluminum.  Its done using a weak sulfuric acid solution and a power supply.  After growing the aluminum oxide layer you cook the part in a dye bath followed by selaing the al-ox pores with either steam, boiling water, or a nickle salt solution.

Parkerizing is done with a sort of phosphoric acid solution to carbon steels.  Manganese phosphate is the dark charcol finish on AR15 barrel, M1A, etc.  Zinc phosphate coatings are a light grey.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No, anodizing is for aluminum.  Its done using a weak sulfuric acid solution and a power supply.  After growing the aluminum oxide layer you cook the part in a dye bath followed by selaing the al-ox pores with either steam, boiling water, or a nickle salt solution.

Parkerizing is done with a sort of phosphoric acid solution to carbon steels.  Manganese phosphate is the dark charcol finish on AR15 barrel, M1A, etc.  Zinc phosphate coatings are a light grey.
View Quote

Can you also anodize stainless steel?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
No.  Other than AL I've only heard of anodizing titanium.  

Carbon steels disolve when anodized.  Sometimes people use that technique to remove steel taps or drills after breaking them off in an aluminum work piece.  Just anodize the work for an hour or so... when you remove the part from the acid bath the bit or tap is gone.  I don't think that works for SS though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone do this with any amount of ease at home, or is this better off left with the professionals.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can someone do this with any amount of ease at home, or is this better off left with the professionals.
View Quote

Leave the annodizing to the pros.. There are several at home finishes you can do that come out pretty darn good. If you want the milspec hard annodize there are companies like Tech Plate in CA. and PC in Titusville FL. that can do the job for a fair price (70-90.00 for a lower as an example)... John
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Nonsense.  I have anodized at least a dozen receivers at home.

It requires one to work with acid and electricity... so it should not be tried by an idiot.  However, responsible and knowledgable home hobbyists do it all the time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
GMTMaster:
Can you give us the name and address of Tech Plate and PC for refinishing.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe I am missing something here, but I've been using KG gunkote for over twenty years and found it to be the best home workshop finish you can apply.  Works well on aluminum alloys, as well as carbon and stainless steels.  The new moly finishes are also available in camo colors.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Aluminum is a soft metal.  The aluminumn oxide layer formed by anodizing is extremely hard (harder than steel) and provides wear resistence and scratch in areas such as pin holes and the interior of the upper where the bolt carrier rides.

Paint is... paint.  This is the reason all the AR manufacturers anodize their receivers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It requires one to work with acid and electricity... so it should not be tried by an idiot.
View Quote

Acid, and electricity ? I think I'll play the idiot, and send it off to the pros. Plus, my wife gets pissed off when I play with dyes around the house, let alone the before mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
GMTMaster:
Can you give us the name and address of Tech Plate and PC for refinishing.
Thanks
View Quote

Here you go:
PC
701 Columbia Blvd Bldg 401
Titusville, FL 32780
Phone: 321-267-1161
I don't have Techplate's any longer. Do a google search and you should find them...
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nonsense.  I have anodized at least a dozen receivers at home.

It requires one to work with acid and electricity... so it should not be tried by an idiot.  However, responsible and knowledgable home hobbyists do it all the time.
View Quote

Ill put myself on the list for now. I might try it on some scrap, but to strip a receiver, and dye it at home? Not for me.. Im sure lots of guys do it though... John
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#15]
NevadaARshooter
Tell us how your reanodizing turns out.  Does it look origional?  I am interested.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top