Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2004 11:19:31 AM EDT
Wow, that was really easy.
Oop, I left out the razor blade...

I have three tiny pinhead sized marks on my bolt catch from inserting the roll pin with pliers. The pliers slipped. I squeezed all the role pins  in with the pliers, and everything went smoothly. I covered areas I was pushing the pins in with a rag and squeezed untill the pins went in.

The razorblade trick works!

All in all, it was too easy. I never thought it would be that quick or simple. I didnt use a single punch. It was painless. Newbies out their, its too easy. Dont fret it. I looked at ARFCOMS instructions twice. (Now that I said this, whos gonna bet me its going to blow up in my face?)

The rock river receiver fits my bushy upper so tightly I cant break it open at the pivot pin.
Another problem, I dont know wether or not to build this into a flat top 20 inch or flat top carbine.  

One question though, will the hammer pin wear out the holes on the receiver if it spins freely?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
One question though, will the hammer pin wear out the holes on the receiver if it spins freely?
View Quote

No, the hammer's L spring holds the pin (centers the hammer on the pin) and causes the pin to rotate with the hammer.  Just remeber to use a little lube on the pins.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
or you can look here. I havnt tried this yet.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=173535
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrat's. My first lower took me about 30 minutes and 3 beers to assemble. My last one took about 10-15 minutes and 2 sips.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Congrat's. My first lower took me about 30 minutes and 3 beers to assemble. My last one took about 10-15 minutes and 2 sips.
View Quote

Thats funny, my last took about 5 minutes as well...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
'boudt 7-10 min. over here for my RRA lowers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Despite all the M-16 the AF gives it's people (being sarcastic here) I was paranoid about putting mine together.  I researched the way every part goes in on this forum.

Then it took me ten minutes to put together while the sig. other put her hair up before going out for the night.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Dumb question: what's the razor blade trick?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The razor was likely to install the detent pins. You need something thin to hold them down while you push in the take down pin.

My RRA lower to Bushy Upper was very tight at first too. Don't sand anything. It'll be perfect after the first firing session at the range. Super lock up but finger removeable after a few hundred rounds and opening and closing a few times.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My last build was incredibly easy, Juggernaut came home for the weekend and did up one of my Tromix lowers in about 6 min's flat.  All he used was a pair of pliers and his teeth.  Who says armorers aren't tough?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]
With a multi wrench and vice block doing your own upper is even easier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With a multi wrench and vice block doing your own upper is even easier.
View Quote

No kidding...I was amazed how easy an upper build was the first time I did it...all in the tools I guess...
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Very true indeed!  I researched, watched videos, surfed the net, wondering what all the hoopla was about.  Then met up with Duffy to finally install my first barrel.  He uses a multi wrench, Bushmaster vise block, and an old Nikesock.  It was so simple, I couldn't believe it.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2004 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top