Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 2:38:25 PM EDT
I was looking at Bushmaster's site at preban uppers and I saw the 11.5" upper with a 5.5" flash hider. What would be the advantages or disadvantages of this when compared to the flash hider of a regular preban 16" M4 Upper?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Advantages:  Some people think it looks cool

Disadvantages: Everything else.  You get the performance of an 11.5" barrel but the lenght of a 16".
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I also like the way the 11.5 w/5.5 FS looks, but if I were to do it again I'd get the 16" with the slip over flash suppressor... Much better velocity, reliability and still have 'the look'.  The 11.5 with the 5.5" FS really is pointless...

Edited for link:

[url]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/mmt-0019.asp[/url]

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL, its amazing the number of products that have no (or sometimes adverse) effect on performance that people buy because they look cool.  Guns and cars especially.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
When I got my Pre-Ban Bushy Carbine I opted for the 16" Barrel and the 5.5" flash Suppressor that slips over it. I gotta admit, at the time it was strictly the look thing. I Know I wanted the 16" HBAR (Way better Ballistics to a 11.5" barrel)  (I have a preference to HBARS, always Have) and the slip over 5.5" flash Suppressor was a cool option.looking back 10 years later, now that I made it a flat top, got the Aimpoint, gonna get a RAS for it I still like the looks of it. and the cool think is that every body has a M-4 profile barrel, but I don't see a lot of the 5.5: flash Suppresors. so I still feel kinda cool!!!! and I would have to agree with drew5337. Guns are alot like cars and That was the only thing that steered me to the slip over flash suppressor. whether or not it does a better job of concealing the flash over an A-2 Compensator. have no Idea!!, But then again, I do pretty much most of my shooting in the daylight!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah but more people do cool things to their guns and stuff because they either will never use their guns for what they are intended for...or hope they never have to...like me...I pray I never have to use my guns in anger..
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The 11.5" /5.5" combo is perfect for pistol caliber uppers...but it's a drawback with the 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah but more people do cool things to their guns and stuff because they either will never use their guns for what they are intended for...or hope they never have to...like me...I pray I never have to use my guns in anger..
View Quote
I'll be watch'in you[peep]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top