Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2003 12:04:20 PM EDT
Is there a big enough difference in these two stocks to pay more for the Colt, or are you just paying for the name?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not get either.  Spend the money on a Voltor stock and tube.  You will like it, I promise.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, get the Vltor, or if you have the money to speng, the Magpul. Either of these stocks makes anything other option pointless.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
To answer the question, I'd say the COLT, hands down.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive owned the Colt M4 Type II and the Rock River 6 position, and the RRA stock is SIGNIFICANTLY tighter and rattle free.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a tube already, get a Calvary Arms M4 stock from Cory at [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=167701&w=searchPop]Adrenaline Arms[/url] He has DPMS tube kits too.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd get the Vltor stock and buffer extension for these reasons:
1. Much better cheekweld than either Colt or BM
2. The Vltor buffer extension is of the same dimensions as the Colt/milspec, except it's 5 position rather than 4.  You can easily exchange the Vltor stock for a Colt stock.  BM, RRA and Cav. Arms stocks though somewhat work with mil spec tubes, they will rattle on them, and BM, RRA, etc. tubes bottom rail are wider, Colt and Vltor stocks won't fit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
How much does the Magpul weigh? It looks rather beefy...

Also, it is post ban legal correct?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
It isnt lightweight. Its not exteremely heavy, but it is probably the heaviest of the bunch. It is not immediately post ban legal but you can get in touch with Magpul to have them fix it in the position you like so it will be post ban legal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
To answer  the original question, if it's going on a Colt, I'd get the Colt, for the uniformity of it.  If it's going on an aftermarket piece, I'd get one of the aftermarket pieces. but NOT Bushmaster.

Why? Because ALL the major aftermarket units are exactly the same; made by the same people in the same plant, on the same machines.  Bushie gets considerably more for their unit than Rock River, or anyone else, and except for the emblem on the side it's the same damn thing.

Re the fancy ass piece that all the "Commandos" above keep pushing; why not wait until we see if the ban gets lifted. If it does, you can spend the bucks on a real collapsible then [:D] If it's renewed, then you still have a legal M4gery in appearence, w/o  having spent a lot of dollars for a non collapsible piece that isn't even GI looking.

Just a traditionalist's two pennies[:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To answer the question, I'd say the COLT, hands down.
Jack
View Quote

I will second that.  I have an example of both and the BM stock has a nasty parting line and areas that contained voids/short shots.  The Colt stock has zero visible parting lines and is completely packed out.  The fit over the receiver extension is also tighter with the Colt.  I was disappointed with the BM stock.  When I mentioned it to BM their response was no response.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#11]
In one sentence you managed to label those that contributed to help wessono as commandos, and I'm sure it's meant in a derogative way. Why belittle folks that like their gears for their own reasons?  For that matter, if that's what we are, you're no different, you're just offering opinions like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea, What Duffy said!!

(and since I just got a VLTOR, I must be a Commando too!!!) Sweeeeeeet. I always wanted to be one, now I am!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought the colt tubes were slightly smaller diameter wise.I know a crane stock for example will only fit a colt tube.I got my type 2 M4 tele stock from bushy before prices went up and I have a RRA one from pete and its the same and $30 cheaper.If colt stocks were comparable in price I would probably have one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Is that Vltor pricing just for stock or includes the carbine buffer extension? I have a post-ban carbine (uses full buffer extension) and would like to know what I need to purchase to make Vltor stock work after AWB goes out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Coomandos?!!!? Notice, the original poster was inquiring about a POST BAN stock, so if you're recommending a very expensive piece, to be modified so it doesn't do what it was built to do, then you're telling him to spend a bunch of bucks for no good reason EXCEPT LOOKS---and that friends makes you "ARM CHAIR COMMANDOS"!!!!

Practicality, utility aren't your concerns apparently---just looks. The word we have for that down here in the South is "pissant" (from the French "Poissant" meaning small, meaningless and unimportant).

Notice--I didn't tell the man not to get a Vitor or Magpul; just to wait to see if the ban gets lifted and he can get a collapsible that will meet whatever his needs are; whether original type or one of the new upgrades.

But for appearance only?? That's pissant.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Where in the original post does it say "POST BAN" And thanks for the free French lesson!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#17]
wessono's original post doesn't, nor is the preban/postban issue mentioned anywwhere except in shamayim's posts.

I don't find where any one of us told him to get any piece of gear because of looks, all of our suggestions are based on functionality and usability.  Do a search for "looks" on this page, you'll find that wessono said the magpull looks heavy, and that shamayim mentioning about "a lot of dollars for a non collapsible piece that isn't even GI looking"
Stop calling us names, some of us are just enthusiasts, the others are real world users, just giving a fellow member advice he asked for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#18]
We should start forming an army of "Chairborne Commandos". Heck, we could call the first unit "The Easy Boys". [8D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top