Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 10:41:07 PM EDT
Your thourghts please.
I have ordered and are waiting delivery of an RRA varmint rifle. I have been advised that NZ police will need to  type approve it once I have it. Basically a fellow club member who has been through this exercise that this means the Poloce Armourer will probable put a bent piece of wire on the disconector and this will cause it to go auto. Is there a trigger availible which would defeat this test. If it fails and I can't talk them around then I may have to ship to the USA
STI
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would they do that?  Or better yet how would they do it?  You can make it slam fire out a burst of rounds but then again it may only fire one round and not reset the hammer.  The AR 15 lower receivers are not made to M16 specs so it is ridiculous to even attempt such a test.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do they do this? Are they trying to keep all guns out of country that can possibly be made full auto? Man if that's the case you should start looking at a revolver, lever gun, pump shotgun, or a pellet rifle. I'm sorry to hear this. I was considering a possible move to NZ. Could you enlighten me to the gun laws there? Not too gun friendly if this is any indication.

About your trigger question I don't have and answer for ya, I'm sorry. Maybe if you contact RRA and explain your situation they may be able to help you out. They may have run up against this before. Good luck bro, I hope you get to keep your rifle. Let us know the outcome. You live in a beatiful place man, I envy you.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't help now but I think the Jewell 2-stage trigger might not be tripped like you are describing.  Also, the KAC 2-stage trigger is quite different and might also defete this "test"...  I would have to play with my lower to tell for sure...  I just know there is no way for me to use my Registered Lightning Link with either of my 2-stage triggers...

One way around this would be to add a sear block like Colt does...  they would have a tough time getting a wire in a Colt blocked lower in a way that it could trip a disconnect...

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
They are trying to stip any guns which may be able to be converted to full auto being imported. Never mind we have already shit loads of SLR's Ak's etc already here and unregistered before the rules changed. The bitch is I applied to the authorities for as permit to purchase, import and own my new ar. This was eventually granted and a Permit issued. I have ordered my gun but now when talking with another member from another part of NZ, who managed to do the same thing he ,mentioned that when he imported his DPMS. Even though We have many old AR-15's here because the manufacturer was not on the police list it had to be submitted for testing.  Police armorour advised he fitted his test jig and then it went auto on him. I suspect it was Slam Firing but I'm very very new to AR's. Funny how it never did when my mate was running tha barrel in!!! Anyway he managed to convince them to let him keep it. As to the Gun laws here in NZ . 1 Every body who wants a firearm needs to apply for a licence from the NZ police.  The licence can hold different endorsements for example my own licence has a B and E endorsement. B means I can own, purchase, store handguns at an approved club. E endorsement means I can own and Use MSSA weapons such ie AR type. These are apparently much more dangerous than other firearms as this endorsement is much harder to get then even the B one although there are no magazine capacity limits etc. As far as moving to NZ. If you own  be allowed to bring them with you after gaining a licence with correct endorsement. Same for rifles and shotguns. MSSA's well its case by case but don't hold your breath. Hunting here you have no bag limits except for waterfowel or feather game, no season, no game tags to buy. No restrictions for non residents. We have goats, rabbits, hares, ducks (3 types), pheasent, turkey. red deer, wapati(elk), fellow deer, whitetail, Sika, chamois, Himalayan Thar, wallaby and if you like to fish trout, salmon etc. It's a great place just some of the arms laws suck.
STI
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure the hammer has the AR15 notch.  Make sure the carrier has no firing pin ramp.  When he does the test the rifle will lock up after 1 shot.  If it lacks those features he will eventually get it to double by holding the disconnector off.  The KAC 2stage will double if they hold off the disconnector too.  Thats how the full auto version works.

Edited to add:

I see its a RRA.  RRA uses a ramped carrier wich will fail that test.  You need to put in a Bushmaster or Colt carrier.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Make sure the hammer has the AR15 notch.  Make sure the carrier has no firing pin ramp.  When he does the test the rifle will lock up after 1 shot.  If it lacks those features he will eventually get it to double by holding the disconnector off.  The KAC 2stage will double if they hold off the disconnector too.  Thats how the full auto version works.

Edited to add:

I see its a RRA.  RRA uses a ramped carrier wich will fail that test.  You need to put in a Bushmaster or Colt carrier.

View Quote

Just to clarify...there are both shrouded and unshrouded Bushmaster and Colt carriers.  You need an unshrouded version to pass your test.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Do other members think a Jewell 2 stage trigger might solve the problem.If So Where can I purchase one. How do they operate??
Sorry for all the newbie questions
STI
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Bradd-D is right a notched hammer and un ramped carrier the hammer should hang up on it that is why its done to those parts so the carrier will hang up and not go full auto.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do other members think a Jewell 2 stage trigger might solve the problem.If So Where can I purchase one. How do they operate??
STI
View Quote

Watch out on that one... if your police officer unscrews the second stage letoff a tad too much, the jewell doubles on it's own without touching the disconnector!!!

I know because it has happened to me, while I was installing it the first time, and I wanted to find that "magic spot" that was, indeed too light. But I still think that the Jewell is the best made trigger out there, period.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If your rifle comes w/a fully shrouded (under the firing pin) bolt carrier, see if you can find someone who has an AR w/the cutawy version, and borrow his for the test. Generally, the shrouded type, which duplicates the profile of the original M16 carrier, is condidered more reliable, than the cutaway types, which were implemented by Colt early in the AR15 production run for political correctness. Recent production by all the major manufacturers, including Rock River, has shown a return to the original shrouded type.

Interestingly, it was Colt that first instituted the cutaway carrier and notched hammer---and all the aftermarket makers followed suit. Now, nearly 40 years later, Colt abandons the cutaway----and all the aftermarket makers are following suit [:D]

If your rifle arrives with a hammer notched at the top front corner, and you can see the rear of the firing pin from the bottom of the bolt carrier, your rifle will almost certainly pass the test. If the hammer does not have the notch at the corner, and/or the firing pin is covered upwhen looking from underneath, then it MAY NOT pass. There is no certainty about that, however. Holding down or removing the disconnector will certainly allow the hammer to fall on the return stroke of the action, but it will be riding the underside of the carrier, will not hit the firing pin with anything like a full force, and unless the ammunition has extremely sensitive primers, you'll end up with a chamber loaded rifle that has the hammer down on a live round.

Since all the aftermarket makers are using up their previous stocks of cutaway stuff here and there, I'd sit tight until you see what Rock River put into yours, before getting too antsy.[:D]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Many thanks for all your advice.
I'll let you know how it all goes
STI
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
STI
View Quote

Click here for more info:

[url]www.highpowerrifle.com/triggers.htm[/url]

There's lots of info on how the match triggers work!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top