Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2003 8:54:29 PM EDT
I posted this in the M16 section, however I figure the more responces I get to this question the better off i'll be.

I just purchased an ar Lower and realized it's got a few M16 trigger parts in it. I promptly replaced them however I need to know if it is illegal for me to keep them (out of the rifle) or do I need to dispose of them?

thanks

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a great idea to keep them since ATF might try the intent piece, but not illegal to own.

One thing you might think about is neutering the disconnecter making it look like the semi-auto version.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
There's only 3 M16 parts in a trigger group. What's a few to you?

Sell them on Ebay, everybody else does.

Better yet just buy an M16 cause you know you want one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
So I can Keep them? I believe that every piece except the selector was from an M16. So it would be legal for you to own the parts to convert your rifle into and M16 as long as the parts never make it into a lower or is it the lower onto an upper, where is the line drawn? I would love to own an M16, however I'll have to wait till I get out of school and turn 21:( being 19 sucks!

Thanks Jerad
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Just sell it on ebay and buy more ammo.

Your much better off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Or, if you have access to a grinder or Dremel type tool, cut the rear tail off the hammer, and the tail off the disconnecter, and you've just done what Colt has always done to make them AR15 parts [:D]. The trigger and the selector can't be "AR15d", so either sell 'em for the $15 or $20 they're worth, or throw 'em away.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the possession of even one M16 part along with possession of an AR-15 constitutes a felony offense.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Mere possession does not constitute a felony.  The charge would be intent to manufacture if there was enough evidence to prosecute.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Nah, they're not illegal, but if you don't want 'em, want to sell 'em?  What make of parts are they?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have an AR15 and “ANY” M16 parts it is considered constructive possession and is a federal offense.  And because they monitor the site they have all your information and will be storming your house any day now…….  At best give them to someone that does not have an AR and then they are just parts and legal.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just cut the hook off the hammer, tail off the trigger and shorten the dis connect to semi specs and ya got some high quality spares.  
View Quote

The tail of the M16 trigger has to be filled in, not cut off.

David_Hineline,

Which parts are you counting as M16 parts? Last I looked there were 4 FCG parts suitable for use in semis; the hammer, trigger, disco, and selector. While the other parts can be easily modded to semi only status it is usually simpler to swap out selectors.

full auto FCG
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19406[/img]

semi auto FCG
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19427[/img]

Legal info [url=http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/ar_15_auto_sear_faq.txt]here[/url].

[forgot the link]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top