Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 4:40:22 PM EDT
Ok here are a couple areas I'm unsure of.

1)  Many States have laws stating that they also ban "assault" rifles named in the "federal assault rifle ban".  Now if there is no federal ban are these bans gone or still in effect?

2)  So say the ban sunsets is do you just slap on a "pre" ban upper and you are good to go regardless of what new State bans might come down the pike?

3)  Will "pre" ban rifles still be pre ban in these States making them more valuable in some states then others?

4)  Might it lead to a whole wave of State sponsered bans in say Mass, CT, NY, NJ, MD, etc.

What should I do to be prepared for a sunset in the federal ban and possibility of the addition of a new and possible tougher State ban?

I hope you can tell where I'm going with this.  Say on Sept 15 the ban sunsets and all AR15s are considered fine regardless of configuration.  Massachusetts liberals freak out and try to rush a new State ban into effect.  Would all guns prior to the new State ban be ok, or just the original prebans?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of us suffer from an unconstitutional federal law which will sunset. Some of us however suffer from the federal law AND similar state legislature. The sunset of the federal ban will not eliminate already existing state bans. Furthermore, all 50 states can if they choose to have a state ban after sept 04, making the sunset of the AWB fruitless for us. Pre-bans in oppressive states will retain their value.

You should be OK if you "properly configure" a post 94 rifle after the sunset and before the hypothetical state ban, provided you have proof of the time in which the weapon was converted/restored.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok here are a couple areas I'm unsure of.

1)  Many States have laws stating that they also ban "assault" rifles named in the "federal assault rifle ban".  Now if there is no federal ban are these bans gone or still in effect?

View Quote

Expiration of Federal law has nothing to do with state law, unless state law is written that way. I guess if the state law specifically points to a list of firearms that no longer exists, then the list of banned firearms under that state's laws is null.

2)  So say the ban sunsets is do you just slap on a "pre" ban upper and you are good to go regardless of what new State bans might come down the pike?
View Quote

Yes. Deal with state law when it is enacted. Just like today.

3)  Will "pre" ban rifles still be pre ban in these States making them more valuable in some states then others?
View Quote

Probably, unless it is illegal to import those rifles into those states. Again, it depends on what state law says.

4)  Might it lead to a whole wave of State sponsered bans in say Mass, CT, NY, NJ, MD, etc.
View Quote

More likely is it will lead to a whole wave of state laws being repealed, when it is shown the sky has not fallen. It is really up to each states gun owners as to bend over and take it, or fight for repeal.

What should I do to be prepared for a sunset in the federal ban and possibility of the addition of a new and possible tougher State ban?
View Quote

Whatever you are doing now. You seem to be pre-occupied with some law that may get passed in the future. Who cares, you cannot control that. But history has shown, most weapons are grandfathered, and go up in value, so buy now.

I hope you can tell where I'm going with this.  Say on Sept 15 the ban sunsets and all AR15s are considered fine regardless of configuration.  Massachusetts liberals freak out and try to rush a new State ban into effect.  Would all guns prior to the new State ban be ok, or just the original prebans?
View Quote

Pretty hard to know what a non-existent law says, isn't it?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top