Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 1:57:35 PM EDT
Here is one of the original pics Lumpy196 posted.

I think most of the replies in his thread agreed that this is certainly not the optimal configuration for clearing building.

Having way too much time on my hands I thought "hey, wouldn't it be nice to have a dual role SPR, one being CQB situations and the other mid to moderately long precision shooting?"

This is the best I could come up with:

The Scope is a Trijicon 3X9 Accupoint with Red Triangle Reticle and the BAC feature.  The Daniel Defense handguard saves some weight over the Knights FF Ras as well as being the correct length for the midlength gas system to use the PRI BUIS.  The barrel is a RRA 18" 1X8 varminter that was turned down to .820" under the handguard and .740" to the muzzle.  Trying to find ways to further lighten the rifle.  Wonder if the new ARMS #40L will fit under the rear objective if the scope was mounted in a set of ARMS #22 Med. Rings?  May have to go with the Knights low profile 300m and rail mounted BUIS.  Still in the developmental stage.  

Hopefully going to be able to weigh it tomorrow, but I think its barely pushing 8 lbs.  I dubbed it CQPR "CloseQuartersPrecisionRifle"

Edited:  casue it took me 6 friggin' time to get the image right
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats sweet Rem.  I'll have a midlength upper once the tax check comes in this spring.

My new 20" Govt flat top should be here in the next couple of weeks.  I'll post pics of my M16AForgery. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
yea, good stuff!

Let us know how it hits that paper!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
223Rem, wht kind of ARMS scope rings & mount are you using? [8D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, I'm suprised more folks don't jump on that wagon.

now you got me thinking...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Careful...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I kinda thought this would do the job nicely. [:D]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=175354[/url]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid90/pd24b560f280642a2c1c142975280b722/fa750ee8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pdc1a1a62d139fbbe950a429a28b18cd3/fa4b7e0e.jpg[/img]

I also believe that this is the exact thoughts behind the SEAL's Recon Rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
By the way, very nice looking rifle 223Rem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#8]
223REM, I'm interested to know the ARMS mount and rings you used for scope mounting?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
The rings and mount are the #35 Track and Medium rings.  I may go with Knight's BUIS, so I may try a set of ARMS #22 Medium.  This should ligthen the rifle by 5 or 6 oz.

As for the Trijicon Accupoint, it is a very nice piece of glass.  The BAC feature works well for me up to 5X.  The eye relief is extremely generous, about 4" @ 3X and 3" @ 9X.  Field of view is disrupted very little at the lower magnifications because of the ample eye relief, making this scope quite adequate for CQB situation.  Hell of a lot better than point shooting as discussed in Lumpy's thread.  The triangle reticle parallels the reticles of my TA31A and TA31F, so I am very comfortable using it am a aiming point.  I figured having my CQB zero of 50 yards at 3X, will give me the battle zero of 250 yards at 3X.  Everything in between is a hit as well.  The scope also has low profile target knobs for a repeatable zero.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Careful...
View Quote

good advice actually, when I start 'thinking' about firearms, it usually ends up costing me a lot of money.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The Trijicon 3-9x bac is a good idea. I tried pretty much the same setup two years ago and wondered why no one else was talking about it.  The bac feature is nice, but at 9x the scope was not the equal of my Zeiss and I couldn't shoot as tight of groups with the Trijicon's  triangle.  I came up with IMHO a better, but more expensive variation.  A Swarovski 1.75-6x42 with illuminated heavy duplex crosshair with a circle dot in the very center.  Since the reticle is in the first focal plane the circle dot grows in size to give a very precise dot at high power and a small illuminated circle and plex at low power.  This scope rocks!  My custom 16" shorty sort of an SPR will shoot .5 moa consistently.  I love that gun.  On the other hand the Trijicon is also a nice setup and the Aimpoint is a better CQB sight than either of them.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
as much as i hate to say it, the rifle that guys holding is a bit more hi speed than what my unit has.  i realize that yall are just commenting on what could be better, but believe it or not we`re stuck clearing buildings with stock A2s.    They even went as far as making guys to hold an angleneck flashlight in one hand while trying to hold the rifle at the same time.

ive since placed an order for 92 sets of m5 rails (so far we`ve gotten 15 of the rails, but all the rest of the accessories)

on mine ive got a surefire g2 inna 1st samco rail mount,a forward pistol grip, and my old deer scope mounted on one of those old (so called delta) carry handle mounts.

not the best setup, but that light sure scared the bejesus out of the trainer who was playing bad-guy at the kill house.

edited to add:  i figure at the ranges i`m shooting inside a room i dont even really pick up a sight picture anyway, i tend to mount, point, and shoot.     so far its working fine.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 I'll have a midlength upper once the tax check comes in this spring.

My new 20" Govt flat top should be here in the next couple of weeks.  I'll post pics of my M16AForgery. [:D]
View Quote

I guess great minds think alike [:D], I've been working on 4 AR projects since August....They are all coming together, just waiting for a couple vertical grips from Tango Down and I have to send my Colt LEO M4 to Wes so he can put a KAC RAS FF....Here's a couple pics of the unfinished Mid Length and M16AForgey...Enjoy:

Still waiting on a Tango Down Vertical Grip and some Surefire parts from Bright Flashlights (used a classic weapon light that I had with a KAC Light mount, I'm turning the 6v into a 9v) (this rifle is not true to form, I used a TA11 on this gun instead of one of my TA31s)
[img]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/a4%201.jpg[/img]

And the Midlength Project...Just waiting for the Aluma-Hyde II on the Textured Battle grip to cure so I can install it....Also put a Surefire 961SU on it:
[img]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/mlar%201.jpg[/img]

With the Surefire
[img]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/surefire%20on%20dd%201.jpg[/img]

Just gotta finish these and my 2 other projects, and get a new digital camera so I can post some pics....

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I'll have a midlength upper once the tax check comes in this spring.

View Quote

I guess great minds think alike [:D], I've been working on 4 AR projects since August....They are all coming together, just waiting for a couple vertical grips from Tango Down and I have to send my Colt LEO M4 to Wes so he can put a KAC RAS FF....Here's a couple pics of the unfinished Mid Length and M16AForgey...Enjoy:

Still waiting on a Tango Down Vertical Grip and some Surefire parts from Bright Flashlights (used a classic weapon light that I had with a KAC Light mount, I'm turning the 6v into a 9v) (this rifle is not true to form, I used a TA11 on this gun instead of one of my TA31s)
[url]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/a4%201.jpg[/url]

And the Midlength Project...Just waiting for the Aluma-Hyde II on the Textured Battle grip to cure so I can install it....Also put a Surefire 961SU on it:
[url]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/mlar%201.jpg[/url]

With the Surefire
[url]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/surefire%20on%20dd%201.jpg[/url]

Just gotta finish these and my 2 other projects, and get a new digital camera so I can post some pics....

View Quote

Your first one is a great looking SAM.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#15]
03 has some damn fine taste in ARs.  Wouldnt you know a midlength is my NEXT project. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Lumpy and Hawkeye,

Thanks for the complements guys....Santa in a Brown Suit (UPS guy) brought me 2 Tango Down Battle grips on Monday and brought me 2 Tango Down Vertical Grips today at lunch....

So some of the pics are outdated...I just sold my digital camera this weekend, but will be getting a new digital camera (military moron showed me the light and pointed me in the right direction)...Anyway here is a link to some of the projects that I've got going along with some of my guns, and some other stuff.  The project guns have had some things added to them since these pics were taken, so the pics are a little outdate, but I should have up some new pics of the complete product within the next couple weeks.

Enjoy

[url]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/usmc03.htm[/url]

Stay safe

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top