Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2003 10:04:28 AM EDT
I am looking at purchasing another tube for a new 9mm project.  These 2 brands seem  to have a lot in common and the DD rail appears to be of the same quality as the KAC.  Right now I own one KAC Ras system on my m4 and am very pleased with it.  The DD system looks virtually the same and is the same price.  They havent been out that long for lots of data and reviews of the product so I was wondering if anyone had any input as to why I should choose one over the other.  I am sure either way i will be happy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
This was discussed in another post, I can't remember where.

The 2 main differences that I recall were:
1) Weight, the DD is lighter.
2) Shape, the DD has a "flat" bottom.  The cross section is not circular like the KAC.

I would go for the DD (like I had the money).
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
One difference between the two is the DD uses and aluminium barrel nut while the KAC uses a steel one.  That is where the weight savings comes from.

I haven't gotten my grubby little mits on a DD hand guard yet but I'm going to get one as soon as I pick up a mid-length upper.  It's rumored that they are going to start offering a complete upper with their hand guard system installed sometime soon.  From what I hear it will be the first mid-length, 1:7 twist, 4150, extended feed ramp upper available!

I've exchanged several dozen emails with the folks at DD and they've answered everyone of them in a polite, professional manner.  They seem like great people and a great company so I'll be giving them some of my business.  Who am I kidding, I give everyone my business [;)]  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
With KAC rail covers in place the DD forend has a simmilar shape to the oblong M4 fat handguards.  They are very comfortable but since almost everybody seems to be using a vert grip these days I guess it does not matter that much.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You really can't go wrong with either...I just put a DD 9.0 midlength tube on a midlength project that I was doing and I'm really impressed at weight savings of the Daniel Defense tube...It gave the rifle a light well balanced feel....

The DD tube as inkabe mentioned is more oval shaped and feels like the M4 handguard, where the RAS is round.

I've got the RAS on 4 of my guns and I'm in the process of getting a RAS FF installed on my Colt M4....I have handled and shot numerous guns with the RAS FF....

You really can't go wrong with either product...

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:15:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Forgot to add, here is a link to some of the projects that I've been doing, it has numerous pics of the Daniel Defense Mid Length tube on the page:

[url]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/usmc03.htm[/url]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top