Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 9:59:21 AM EDT
What kind of quality is a creeger  (spelling-?) crome-lined 1:77 twist ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Kreiger. They are considered among the best for match barrels. I have never seen one of their barrels chrome lined. Most makers of match grade barrels don't make chrome lined barrels for defensive/weapon use.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]Krieger[/b] does NOT make chrome line 1/7.75 twist barrels, they do however make [b]stainless steel[/b] (double cryo'd) 1/7.75 twist 223 barrels and my Dad owns one.

They are among the finest "custom" rifle barrels made bar-none, in any calber, IMO.

Mike

added: [url]http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Krieger barrels "high end", and quite expensive.  They use "single-point cutting" technique for rifling the barrels, rather than "button rifling", which most other companies do. Their blanks are of the highest quality.  A Diemaco (a Canadian company that specializes in small arms weapons and military contracts) technician, emailed/replied to me saying that they order blanks from Krieger, occasionally.  Krieger doesn't do chrome lined, only chrome-moly or stainless steel, and pretty much any contour you desire.  For an AR, I'd recommend definitely having at least (1) chrome lined SHTF upper (Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, etc...)

[url]http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/index.php[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I just spoke to Jay @ knights Armament about the SR15M4 and told him I wanted an AR I could shoot the piss out of and he suggest I look at the SR15Match which comes with a crome lined Kreiger 20" barrel.

Could I have misunderstood...could he have said the wrong thing...perhaps but going with the facts, would a stainless or chrome-moly barrel last as long as a chrome lined barrel in "shoot the piss out of"  scenarios.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
would a stainless or chrome-moly barrel last as long as a chrome lined barrel in "shoot the piss out of" scenarios.
View Quote

While the chrome-moly'd barrel would probably last a bit longer than the stainless steel variety, NEITHER would last as long as a "chrome-lined" chamber and barrel, in your example.

Suspect he meant the chrome-moly version.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just spoke to Jay @ knights Armament about the SR15M4 and told him I wanted an AR I could shoot the piss out of and he suggest I look at the SR15Match which comes with a crome lined Kreiger 20" barrel.

Could I have misunderstood...could he have said the wrong thing...perhaps but going with the facts, would a stainless or chrome-moly barrel last as long as a chrome lined barrel in "shoot the piss out of"  scenarios.
View Quote

I'd say there is no such animal, as a chrome-lined krieger barrel (wish I was wrong).  Probably "chrome-moly" is what was referenced.  I talked to the guys at Krieger quite a bit before I ordered my 16.25" chrome moly barrel.  They said the "chrome-moly" was harder (metalurgy wise), and Stainless steel was easier to work with (machining).  There really is hardly any difference, though I took what they told me as:   the chrome-moly would better suited for a "carbine-type (M4)" AR, and the SS better suited for a heavy/longer barrel target/varmint AR.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Who makes an AR that can handle "shoot the piss out" scenerios right out of the box?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who makes an AR that can handle "shoot the piss out" scenerios right out of the box?
View Quote

Top Tier AR makers are:
Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt

Arranged alphabetically not in pecking order.

Any of the makers above will fill the bill, however if raw "rounds down the tube" blasting is your preference, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Bushmaster's  XM15 E2S 14.5" Bbl. AK Carbine (1/9 twist), as it has a heavy barrel and will take 500-600 rounds in quite a short time due to the heavy barrel with NO ill effects. It is also quite accurate using XM193 or M193 and especially shoots the Israeli made Q3131A well.
It comes with a "chrome lined" chamber and barrel.

Second Tier rifles consist of:
DPMS
Olympic Arms
Rock River Arms

I own both a Rock River complete M4 rifle w/ faux A2 FS (1/9 twist) and while not as heavy a barrel as the Bushy mentioned above, it is "chrome-lined" and a good shooter to with rounds above. I also own a "chrome-lined" DPMS M4 upper (1/7 twist) which is designed for shooting the heavier weight bullets, (something one might want to consider should the heavier weighted rounds be of interest to ya, check out the Ammo Faq here: [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url] for details of heavier rounds).

Third Tier rifles/parts:
ASA
J&T Distributing
Model 1 Sales

I have owned a J&T upper (1/9 twist) 11.5" w/ permanent 5.5" faux XM177 FS, it too comes "chrome-lined" and shoots respectably the M193 rounds referred to above, it also has a similar weighted "heavy-barrel" and holds up to sustained fire on par with the AK Bushy spoken of above.

Then there's "Hesse"
Avoid anything with this name like the plague, run, don't walk away from anyone attepting to sell ya a product with this name. Better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps ya out,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]
When it comes to barrels colt or bushmaster are the only ones using spec 4150 chrome lined chrome moly vanadium steel.Colt is twice the cost of bushmaster.For a defensive field rifle I beleive its TROY who says "go chrome or go home"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top