Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2003 9:55:38 AM EDT
Hi all, new to the AR world, and was wondering what would happen if you put a preban upper on a postban lower?  I tried a search, but didn't get what I was looking for (if I did it right).

One other question, why are the green followers in mags do?

Thanks for the help
Mack
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
While the "legal" forum is best for your questions.....

Pre-ban uppers on post-ban lowers are worth 10 years and $10,000.00 fine in the Federal pokey. Don't do it!

Green followers are used to replace the early military black followers because they have a longer lip on the front-end which prevents the follower from tipping and causing a jam, as sometimes can occur. So they are installed to increase reliability.

Mike  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info mr wilson!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hi all, new to the AR world, and was wondering what would happen if you put a preban upper on a postban lower?  I tried a search, but didn't get what I was looking for (if I did it right).

One other question, why are the green followers in mags do?

Thanks for the help
Mack
View Quote

Nothing. But it would be illegal if and only if the combination of the preban upper and the postban lower resulted in rifle that had more than ONE of the following features:

1)pistol grip
2)folding stock
3)bayonet lug
4)threaded muzzle
5)flash hider
6)muzzle device that will accept a rifle grenade

Because then it would be an illegal SAW(semiautomatic assault weapon).

As long as you follow these rules, and the barrel and rifle OAL are 16" and 26" or more (respectively), you are ok.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nothing. But it would be illegal if and only if the combination of the preban upper and the postban lower resulted in rifle that had more than ONE of the following features:

1)pistol grip
2)folding stock
3)bayonet lug
4)threaded muzzle
5)flash hider
6)muzzle device that will accept a rifle grenade

[red]Because then it would be an illegal SAW[/red](semiautomatic assault weapon).

As long as you follow these rules, and the barrel and rifle OAL are 16" and 26" or more (respectively), you are ok.
View Quote

As a [b]pre-ban[/b] upper contains a "bayonet lug" and a "flash suppressor" this would be a violation of the AWB, if installed on a post-ban lower.

"Nothing" indicates to the unknowledgeable that placing a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower is okay to do, [b]it's not[/b], because of the features that made it a pre-ban upper in the first place.

While technically correct, your answer is somewhat convoluted, as removal of the bayonet lug and the flash suppressor which needs to be done in order to legally attach it to a post-ban lower, disqualifies the upper as pre-ban and results in a different question than what was asked.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
As a [bpre-ban upper contains a "bayonet lug" and a "flash suppressor"

removal of the bayonet lug and the flash suppressor which needs to be done in order to legally attach it to a post-ban lower
View Quote

You are not 100% accurate in your statement. There were many preban complete uppers that were made that never had a bayonet lug or flash hider installed. I have one, it has a target cown, and is a competition upper. It is a preban upper and it is legal to put on a postban receiver.

A preban-configured upper and a preban manufactured upper are not necessarily the same. For a new gun owner, being aware of specifics of the law is more important than having some foggy perception of what constitutes "preban" and "postban". Is it date of manufacture? Is it configuration? Is it both?

Knowing the law will keep you out of trouble, rather than vague perceptions based on what someone told you. In and of itself, It IS NOT illegal to put a preban upper on a post ban lower There are many configurations of preban uppers that were produced. It IS illegal to have more than one of the banned features on the rifle, period. I encourage everyone to read the laws before obtaining a firearm. By being correctly informed you can make informed decisions. That is why I specified the letter of the law in my post, not generalities which do little to help the firearms owner understand WHY he may not be able to legally have a preban upper on his postban, rather than just telling him he can't do it, which may not be accurate in all cases.

Please don't take this as a criticism of your post, it is not. I just feel it is important for firearms owners to be as informed of the laws as they can be.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top