Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2003 8:00:30 AM EDT
While I still think the 1994 AWB will most likely sunset quietly and HR2038 will not become law (whistling in the dark), my friends I am are wondering if we should hedge our bets.  These questions also assume that HR 2038 isn't retroactive to 9/13/94 as some have interpreted it to be (thats another long thread).

My (over)simplified understanding of HR 2038 is that if it becomes law, I can't have an AR (or any other rifle) with detachable mag and a pistol grip (or one of the other "evil features").

Is it advisable to buy a bunch of stripped lowers  now just in case HR 2038 does become law?

Will the lowers have to built up into complete rifles and be documented before HR 2038 becomes law? Or is puchasing a stripped lower enough to build a legal rifle (i.e., one with a pistol grip but not any other "evil features") after HR 2038 becomes law?

Is there anything else I can do to hedge?

- just call me the hedgehog

ps.  Already writing letters to Congress.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm still buying magazines, I have 3 stripped lowers set aside (planning on picking up a few more) and I'm still buying pre-bans so the AWB is sure to sunset and not be replaced [;)]

I suggest you do the same [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not forget to get the grips and put them on. Save your receipts. Get pictures of them all assembled with dates and witnesses.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
yep. I traded an AK47, a postban AR and a cheap S&W pistol for a preban shorty carbine. I'm down to 2 ARs now a nice preban and a new postban. My reasoning was, I would rather take a loss on the preban and ensure I have one, than to risk having the AWB not sunset, and then not be able to afford a preban because the prices skyrocketed, as they will if the AWB becomes permanent.

I'm really not worried about HR 2038 as it is very draconian for an election year, but I think there is a very real possibility the AWB sunset clause will be amended so that it is permanent.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no way to be sure what will happen. Some of the republicrats may or may not sell us out. I have my two prebans and "several" postban recievers. I am sure I will not loose any money on the post bans if I look at it as a investment. A lot should also be said about being able to arm a group of my buddies who are still active USMC and can't afford to throw the cash outlay for an AR. How does that saying go ?
"You can pry it from my cold dead fingers,.... but not before you crawl over a large pile of bodies first " ??
You know the lefty's love to hear that.
I say BUY BUY  BUY  BUY BUY
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]

HR2038 is one of the major reasons I curtailed all 'toy' spending and concentrated on lowers, magazines, and ammo... And another preban.  ACOG's, SIR's, and whatever else in the toy catagory can wait til after Sept 04 and the final results of HB2038...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the above statement. I have been purchasing guns rather than ammo. Although, it could happen...I haven't heard too much about banning ammo...So other things like ACOG's and Aimpoints will have to wait till after Sept 04...where as we have heard plenty about AR style rifles...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

HR2038 is one of the major reasons I curtailed all 'toy' spending and concentrated on lowers, magazines, and ammo... And another preban.  ACOG's, SIR's, and whatever else in the toy catagory can wait til after Sept 04 and the final results of HB2038...
View Quote

Hey DarkStar,

You're the second person to mention stocking up on ammo.   Is there something in HR 2038 or any other bill that would limit ammo buying in the near future?   I didn't see anything like that, but then again maybe I repressed the memory. :-)
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Have not heard anything currently in the works regarding ammo or limiting purchases... but, I figure it's available, decently priced, and properly cared for it stores for years.

One can't predict the future, and the history of the RKBA fight is full of compromises and surprises [I'm sure Jim Dandy will be along any minute now to argue that point [;)] ]  I'd much prefer to have a nice stash of ammo tucked away should the day come when some low level bureaucrat suddenly takes issue with Lake City XM193 sales to civies, or one of our 'friends' compromises us into ammo purchase limits or we suddenly find ammo sin taxed in the same way alcohol and tobacco is now...

edited to add:  but then again, I'm a bit paranoid, too... [;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
After the MG ban of 86, the import ban in 89, and the AWB/MAG ban in 94, and the resulting skyrocketing of prices, I think the answer here is pretty obvious.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After the MG ban of 86, the import ban in 89, and the AWB/MAG ban in 94, and the resulting skyrocketing of prices, I think the answer here is pretty obvious.

View Quote

I think I get the hint. If possible I will buy complete guns, but I am a poor professor. I wondered if purchasing the stripped loweres was enough. But do the stripped receivers have to complete rifles before any ban kicks in?

For example, if I had bought stripped receiver on September 12, 1994, and then bought parts for it on Septermber 14, 1994, would I have a legal pre-ban or an illegal post-ban rifle?  

And by the way, how does one "document" a complete rifle by a certain date?  Is a digital picture enough?  Do I have to have someone signoff on it?  

Damn laws.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Just buy [s]both[/s] EVERYTHING! [:D]

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Five2one... hedge your bets if you must, but please work to ensure that the AW ban goes the way of the T-Rex...

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203989]The Essential "End the AW Ban" Contact List & Sample Letter Thread[/url]

If we all do our part, the terms "pre & post ban" will lose their meaning, as will the need to document or "verify" our weapons!

[i]C'mon... help make the AW ban an irrelevant memory!!![/i]

Do it for the children! [:D]    

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top