Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 9:00:28 PM EDT
Should I pay the xtra for a chrome bolt carrior and bolt. I'm looking at the Les Baer Custom Complete N.M. Carrier and Bolt Assembly, It'll be going on a 14.5" SHTF Gun. I would really appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I see the totaly chrome parts as unecesary..But les baer does them right and they are the best in my opinion for chromed steel parts.Also I use their chromed extractors and ejectors the extractors cause I blast alot of steel case and there is no sign of wear on it in 4000 rounds and the ejector because I figured if fouling got in the slipperiness of chrome would take care of it.So while I think total chrome is not neede I think some parts benefit from it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]

I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking are a les baer chrome carrier, look at Young Manufacturing.  I know where you can get the carrier for $185+shipping.  They are really nice and I think they are very similar to Les Baur.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Les Baer in my SPR. Excellent product, quality is top notch. Certianly one of the best carriers on the market.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]
LBC & Young are exactly the same carriers with different laser engraved logos.  Both are available only with hard chrome plating.  Both are made to Young's patent.  If you buy the complete assembly direct from LBC you get a McFarland gas ring, a TiN firing pin, and a really heavy duty extractor spring w/ black insert.  Their price for everything is $189.00.  A good deal for the best available carrier assembly out there.

Well worth the extra $ in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the benefit of the McFarland gas ring? I have heard of that before, but is it really any better than the standard 3 gas rings?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LBC & Young are exactly the same carriers with different laser engraved logos.  Both are available only with hard chrome plating.  Both are made to Young's patent.  If you buy the complete assembly direct from LBC you get a McFarland gas ring, a TiN firing pin, and a really heavy duty extractor spring w/ black insert.  Their price for everything is $189.00.  A good deal for the best available carrier assembly out there.
View Quote

I'll have to go check them out. I didn't know they were the same as a Les Baer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Re the Mc Farland gas ring.......the marketing types would tell you that having no end gaps to line up then there is no gas leakage past the ring.  Personally, I think this is BS.  I have never had a cycling problem with the stock rings in a bunch of rifles, but in theory the one-piece ring does have merit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes!  It is a good product.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If you got the money to burn, get it.  If you don't already have a good carry assy, there's no need.  To me, it's like getting HID lights on your vehicle - not necessary, but they have some nice advantages.  The LBC IS one of the finest carriers though, chrome issue aside, and gives you the weight reliability of the M16 carrier.  A fractional edge.  You might be better off spending the extra money on other accessories that you don't have yet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top