Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2003 7:36:26 AM EDT
If Joe Citizen legally builds, and then later sells an AR to some guy from Peoria, is Joe  required to keep record of the transaction, proof of sale, buyer info, etc?

If so, for how long?  

Any difference if the lower is pre or post ban?

Just interested in the current legal requirements, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't keep any records, bc selling to someone from out of state isn't legal.

On the other hand, if you sell to someone able to legally posses that firearm in your own state, no fed records are req'd, but your state law may vary.

I'd give them a Bill of Sale, keeping a copy in case the FBI ever comes around saying the weapon was used in a crime.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
In Texas, selling in state, none.
Check your state laws.

By Federal law, you are prohibited from selling to an indivividual who has been convicted of a felony, or who would otherwise be prohibited from owning a firearm. I don't sell or trade guns often, but if I do, I usually ask "are you lawfully allowed to purchase firearms by law" if they say yes, then I have fulfilled my committment by Texas and Federal law. Of course I won't sell to anyone who looks underage or like a gangbanger, shady individual, etc.

Individuals are not required to keep records of personal firearm sales, in Texas. Again, check your state and local laws.

I would not sell to an out of state individual if I was aware of it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
DCS,

I'm answering this question based upon the info I have at hand.  You're in Wyoming and you said the buyer is in Illinois.  I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to send the weapon in question to him on your own.  You are supposed to send it to an FFL dealer in his state who will in turn perform the required back ground checks accompanied by the proper 4473 form.  This is my belief, an FFL holder.

Big Al
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top