Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2003 5:30:59 AM EDT
Hey Guys,
I've been using a pre-ban, blue lable, 7.62x39 lower for my M4 rig.  I've got a hankering for a 9mm upper to mess around with, but know that it won't work with the silly sear block.  I had the rifle refinished last year to match the upper & was wondering if it was possible/doable to have the sear block removed without having to have the lower refinished again (I don't know very much about the whole sear block removal process).  Also, does anyone know a good, cheap, AR gunsmith who would be capable of doing this in a timely fashion? I live in MA, just outside of Boston, and there are no good gunsmiths anywhere near here.
Thanks,
john
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a colt upper from a guy and he was also selling 2 colt pre ban lowers w/ the sear blocks removed. he told me that it is a bitch and a half because there are 3 pins that need to be taken out. He dinged up the finish on the lowers and had to have them re-anodized.
hope this helps. Billy
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Newer Colt lowers don't have an actual block anymore, they have one forged into the lower itself. Why do you want to remove it anyway? All your going to end up with is a large gaping hole in the side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
this isn't a new colt lower.  it's from 1989.  like i said above, i'm looking to use a 9mm upper on it & it won't fit with the block in place.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt produced "blue label" 9mm AR's with the sear block in place.  I don't know what 9mm kit your trying to use, but if it's a Colt pattern upper, you shouldn't have any problems using the sear blocked lower.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Really?  I thought that the blocked lowers would only permit the use of 7.62x39 or 5.56 uppers.  Does anyone have any exepreince with this issue?
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Really?  I thought that the blocked lowers would only permit the use of 7.62x39 or 5.56 uppers.  Does anyone have any exepreince with this issue?
Thanks!!
View Quote

All you have to cut off is the part that sticks up that has Colt stamped on it.  That is the only part of the sear block that prevents you from using  a 9MM or M16 carrier.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Give Compass Lake Engineering a call.

[url]www.compasslake.com/index.html[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top