Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 6:34:55 PM EDT
Hi everybody!

I would like to hear from some professionals on the subject of trigger manipulation, and shooting technique in general.

I have been shooting my AR15 recreationally for years, but have no formal training. I have heard some of the basics from my dad who was in the Army over 35 years ago.

1. breath control
2. every shot should be a "surprise" (no quick trigger jerking or flinching)
3. basic standing, prone, and kneeling positions

I can hit pretty consistently (not "one hole", but make hits on a 12"x12" steel plate) with my 16" barrel AR15 from 50 to approximately 100 yards or less from various positions...but I know that I have enormous room for improvement, as I usually do this in a slow deliberate fashion.

I want to be able to shoot faster and more accurately with my AR.

When I get out much further than that I am not very consistent with iron sights. I can do slightly better with my Aimpoint ML2.

I have heard that trigger manipulation is the key...and I just don't think I am doing it right.

What is the correct way to position my finger when practicing? Am I supposed to just get a good comfortable grip on the trigger, or just use the first 1/2" or so of my trigger finger?

Any good web sites or information sources that you can give me a heads up on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Scott  

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the pad of your index finger not the joint.  Get a good trigger... it really helps.  Make sure your sand bagged up so you dont have to aim much, the rifle should be more or less on the bull.  Use consistent head position.  Use various ammo to see what your rifle likes.  If you can do 12"x12" with no bags at 100 yards with irons and a stock rifle your doing wonderfully, especially if its from a position other than prone.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply DevL, and the compliment. I thought I was sucking pretty bad, as I have to shoot very slowly to get these hits.

I should clarify the 100 yard statement just to keep a clear conscious. [;)]

I would estimate that out of 5 shots, 2 to 3 will hit the plate at that distance on a very good day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
GI pistol grips work again precise and quick trigger finger placement. You don't want to have to think about finger position, or anything else. GI style grip makes half my finger length go thru guard when I try to be quick. Try as an experiment taping something on back of grip, like half a clothes pin, etc.  JP trigger, ergo type grip and not trying to be "still" when releasing are all key for me.I use targets much like you describe and I seldom miss, even when they are vigorously rotating, which equals about a 1 1/2" by 12" target. I shoot every day and use much better(acog) gunsite, however. When I have missed a few days, for weather,etc.,I am not as good. DevL is right about,12x12 at 100 w/o rest or sling. My favorite position is "rice paddy prone" w/ duck walking to next shots.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top